Kanilea K1 Tenor

nicolec

Reaction score
Okay so after much thought and consideration here is my two cents on the Kanilea tenor. Upon arrival from Reverb I was underwhelmed initially. While the build is perfect and even this simple natural finish was gorgeous, the sound was stifled. It was almost as if when playing, the sound seemed trapped inside the body…thats the best way I can explain it. Granted this is used and I dont know where/when, if ever, it was set up. So I changed the strings to Living Waters and that really makes it sing beautifully and adds a touch of brightness to a very woody and rich sounding instrument. This is my first tenor and Kanilea so obviously this is a veryyy subjective review. I found the fret board to be comfortable coming from a Koaloha soprano and even the body size has not thrown me for a loop. I like the richer deeper tones a lot! My only gripe is the action. Now I dont know if its because its a tenor or a Kanilea and maybe its as it should be, but i find it a bit high. I’ll be taking it to a reputable shop in a few days to see what they think and I’ll update the review after that. Perhaps this is just an instrument Im not used to but compared to the Koaloha which was set up by TUS, this is a bit more difficult to play for me. All this being said, after considering putting her up for sale on here, I think i was prepared to jump ship too soon. This is a really gorgeous instrument with the Tru R bracing, perhaps a 2021 model though Im not sure how to tell (please advise!). I paid just around $1k which is a ton of money for me but I THINK a decent deal for a Kanilea tenor especially a more recent model. In conclusion, I am happy with my decision and I am excited to give this instrument a little more time to settle into its new home at high altitude and for me to get to know it a little better. *the last pic the lighting had changed but the others are definitely truer to what she looks like in person

Attachments

• IMG_8371.jpeg
    IMG_8371.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8370.jpeg
    IMG_8370.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8382.jpeg
    IMG_8382.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8381.jpeg
    IMG_8381.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8380.jpeg
    IMG_8380.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8377.jpeg
    IMG_8377.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 32
I believe the first four digits of the serial number indicate the month & year it was made, so 0720 would be July, 2020.

Congrats on your new ukulele! I like Ko'olau Aho strings on mine. The wider fret board takes a little while to get use to but after a few days it is so comfortable. I also find the wood takes a few days to acclimate to your area.

Great ukulele you have there. Definitely go for a professional setup.

Curious to know if you held on to the Kanile’a and if so how it settled down. Mine has a string height of 2.25 at the twelfth fret and it plays beautifully. Very comfortable.

Curious to know if you held on to the Kanile’a and if so how it settled down. Mine has a string height of 2.25 at the twelfth fret and it plays beautifully. Very comfortable.
It passed through a couple of friends hands and I ended up with it. I got the action lowered and it had some fret sprout but after those issues were addressed and the strings changed I like it more. I think I am going to sell it though and try something new.

Top Bottom