Kanile'a ISL-T Sand Model

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Kanile'a Premium Island series. I've seen some of these beautiful ukes with the inlay of the Hawaiian Islands on the top in Paua Abalone. But there also seems to be a few with the inlay done with Kailua Beach sand instead of Abalone. It looks really cool and I like the idea, but I can't seem to find any information about it. Even the Kanile'a website doesn't seem to mention it. I'm wondering if it was a special edition or a custom order option or what. Anybody own one of these or know anything about it?
I've been browsing around and saw dozens of abalone island models but only two or three of the sand inlay ones

Last edited:
some pics

Attachments

• 1413896_2000x.jpg
    1413896_2000x.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1413897_2000x.jpg
    1413897_2000x.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 25

I did see this page on their website which allows you to special order and design your Island Series Ukulele, but I didn't see anything at all on the page about the beach sand inlay instead of the abalone.

I'd never seen any builder use sand until then. Clever and subtle. Nice alternative to abalone. I liked it and wonder why Kanilea stopped using it.

Yeah, if it's really from Kailua Beach that's kind of cool!

They probably go there after work and on weekends and shake the sand off their feet for use on the ukuleles! Talk about cool!

There's a little more to it than that! Kailua sand is very white, but more importantly, very fine. I asked about using Kaneohe sand -- not much in the way of beaches here, but there's a beach at the bottom of my hill only at low tide -- and the answer was that they'd probably have to grind it first, since, unlike in Kailua, there's no waves around here. (They break well offshore around Kaneohe.)

(Before I understood the nature of the sand, my assumption was that they picked Kailua because that's where both Joe and Kristen Souza were born. That's true, but like I said, there's a little more to it.)

The complicated part is that it's illegal to remove sand from Hawaiian beaches, and indeed virtually every beach on the planet, without a permit. (Fascinating story about this, and the black market arising from it, here.) Fines for collecting sand without a permit in Hawaii go to to $100,000! And seriously, the article I linked to explains a lot of why.

(Most interesting to me in that article is that India's richest and most powerful crime cartel isn't trafficking drugs, but sand! And if you're wondering how global warming is accelerating the loss of sand and therefore driving up the cost of everything from highways and highrises to iPhones and eyeglasses, by all means read on!)

Kanile'a most definitely has a permit for collecting sand, but it's for a very small amount, hence typically reserved for fret dots, some (not all) logos, and occasional embellishments like this Islands series. There's just not very much available.

This set of ukes is in the Build to Order collection, which means a couple of things. One is that you won't typically find it at retail. You place the order, and they build it.

The second thing is that while it isn't super explicit on the page, you can in fact do some customizing on Build to Order models. The specifics of what can be customized and how vary by model, and needless to say, will almost certainly affect the price, but the whole point of the process is to get exactly what you want, so get in touch with Kanile'a and talk to them about what's possible.

I'm still learning about this stuff, but I hope that helps a little!

@TimWilson Wow!! Thank you so much! That answers a lot of my questions. It sounds like they didn't offer this as a regular order instrument. I wonder when the idea came about and how many were actually made. Thank you for taking the time to relate all this information!

If I seem overly curious it's because I just bought the ukulele that's pictured above and below!

Attachments

• 1413895_2000x.jpg
    1413895_2000x.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
There's a little more to it than that! Kailua sand is very white, but more importantly, very fine. I asked about using Kaneohe sand -- not much in the way of beaches here, but there's a beach at the bottom of my hill only at low tide -- and the answer was that they'd probably have to grind it first, since, unlike in Kailua, there's no waves around here. (They break well offshore around Kaneohe.)

(Before I understood the nature of the sand, my assumption was that they picked Kailua because that's where both Joe and Kristen Souza were born. That's true, but like I said, there's a little more to it.)

The complicated part is that it's illegal to remove sand from Hawaiian beaches, and indeed virtually every beach on the planet, without a permit. (Fascinating story about this, and the black market arising from it, here.) Fines for collecting sand without a permit in Hawaii go to to $100,000! And seriously, the article I linked to explains a lot of why.

(Most interesting to me in that article is that India's richest and most powerful crime cartel isn't trafficking drugs, but sand! And if you're wondering how global warming is accelerating the loss of sand and therefore driving up the cost of everything from highways and highrises to iPhones and eyeglasses, by all means read on!)

Kanile'a most definitely has a permit for collecting sand, but it's for a very small amount, hence typically reserved for fret dots, some (not all) logos, and occasional embellishments like this Islands series. There's just not very much available.

This set of ukes is in the Build to Order collection, which means a couple of things. One is that you won't typically find it at retail. You place the order, and they build it.

The second thing is that while it isn't super explicit on the page, you can in fact do some customizing on Build to Order models. The specifics of what can be customized and how vary by model, and needless to say, will almost certainly affect the price, but the whole point of the process is to get exactly what you want, so get in touch with Kanile'a and talk to them about what's possible.

I'm still learning about this stuff, but I hope that helps a little!
Tim, your reply shows true grit.

As much as I like the “abalone” inlay, your sand decor is outstanding!
Given a choice, I would get the sand…

Top Bottom