KALA defective and warranty question

JethroP

Reaction score
I ordered a solid acacia KALA from what I thought was a reputable (authorized) retailed in the midwest. The uke arrived, not in the manufacture's box, with no "new" tags, and with a split on the back. I immediately emailed the store's president/owner and questioned whether they sold me a used instrument and described the defect (with requested picture). He assured me it was not used, but haven't heard anything back regarding the warranty. Perhaps because it's a holiday weekend. But I am wondering if other's have successfully dealt with retailers in this circumstance, or can deal directly with KALA Music if no satisfaction from the retail store where I purchased it. I want a replacement of the same model in exchange for the defective one.

I'd be looking for a refund, not warranty work. That's unacceptable on a new instrument.
Well, they sold it much cheaper than I found it anywhere else. (probably because they new it was used/defective), although no disclosures at all about defects/etc.). So if they offer a refund, it'll cost me a lot more to buy it somewhere else. Hoping they will replace it. Can they just say refund is the only option? That's not a KALA warranty is it?

That's my plan...work with the store. I haven't given up yet. But if they fail me, I will of course be posting their name on all the forums, facebook, etc. to advise others.

You know, I've tried going the warranty route on 2 instruments with 2 different manufacturers. Neither worked out. One was a Godin 5th Avenue archtop acoustic guitar I bought new that the binding separated from within the first year. I got the runaround from Godin over many calls and emails until they finally refused to do anything about it saying it must have been my fault somehow. The other was Kala. I had a solid acacia tenor that I bought new and over time the tuner buttons all came so loose that the uke makes a horrible buzzing sound when played. Kala offered to sell me new tuners.

I don't put much stock into warranties. Return it while you can.

Sell you tuners?! Wow...on a couple of occasions Kala sent new tuners for free when the originals got grindy. If the uke has got a true defect it can't hurt to try the mfger. But if it's a can't be unseen thing that will always bother you, a return might be the best bet.

Last edited:
Sell you tuners?! Wow...on a couple of occasions Kala sent new tuners for free when the originals got grindy.
That's what I was hoping for. Maybe it depends on who you get on the phone at customer service.

The tuners were Grover which Kala no longer uses on that model. I've emailed Grover about their warranty and was asked for pictures of the tuners. I sent those pics in and they then asked me to remove them and take pictures from multiple angles. There's really nothing to see, they look new, it's just that the buttons are loose on the metal posts. I may at some point but for now, the Kala sits in a case.

Did you perhaps get a screen-shot of the original ad? Did you receive a detailed receipt indicating that it was "new" as advertized? You should also have been sent a shipment notice. Odd that if new, it was not shipped in its original packaging.

Documentation rules.

Last edited:
Yeah... sounds like you are midway through being scammed. New Kala Stuff comes with box, special bag, and hang tags... ugh!

Kala is pretty great about making things right within the first year. And they are helpful even if you bought used.

They also... wait for it... carry replacement parts that they sell at reasonable prices if your uke is out of warranty. Good luck finding another ukulele company that actually has replacement parts!

I bought a used Ubass that needed it's electronics replaced last year. I was really surprised at how helpful they were and the low price I got the parts for. They are easy to deal with from my experience!

So- if you have been stiffed, and this shop your are about to make famous on the internet stonewall you, I would call Kala, tell them your tale of woe, and see if they might create a solution to your situation. A New Years miracle might occur!

Or not, who knows. Kala doesn't use serial numbers much so they might not even know the date of manufacture themselves!

We have all walked in your shoes, JethroP: "Incredible price! lower that anyone! Buy it now!"

Good luck and I hope it works out... but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't. It's not worth getting unhappy over a broken Kala... IMHO.

Unless it's an Elite or a Revelator: In that case... They deserve to be named!

I appreciate the responses so far. Email from the company yesterday (from the owner/president) said he will be working on my warranty issue today....whatever that means. I still think they sold me a used uke, but he denies that. Question:

I realize ukuleles may sit on display for a long time, perhaps years. But when they're taken down and shipped to someone, would you always expect the "new" uke to be packed back up like new and shipped in the OEM box, tags and all? Am I the only one who expects original box, etc. with a new instrument?

BTW, my KALA did come in a KALA box, but it was labeled for a different model.

If they have a physical store location then it is possible that it was displayed and played in store and they just repackaged it into whatever box they could find. Still should include tags, warranty cards, user manuals and other stuff that comes with new instruments. If it is a virtual store always ask for factory sealed to make sure it was not a return or otherwise tampered with.

BTW, my KALA did come in a KALA box, but it was labeled for a different model.
so it could have been sitting on a hanger/rack for awhile, the hang tags somehow got removed, meanwhile another kala was sold and put in the wrong box so they used whatever kala box was available. wrong box, no tags, not a big deal imo. the split, however, is not acceptable and the shop needs to make it right.

I was recently wondering about the history of kala labels... the cynic in me says they change frequently to give an idea of the date of mfger, but that's prob the little conspirator in my head.

Last edited:
I realize ukuleles may sit on display for a long time, perhaps years. But when they're taken down and shipped to someone, would you always expect the "new" uke to be packed back up like new and shipped in the OEM box, tags and all? Am I the only one who expects original box, etc. with a new instrument?
Many of the stores I have visited display most or all of their stock for people to see and demo. They may only carry one of a model and reorder or not in the next shipment. Likely even more true with Kala since they may have multiple models of the same scale.

Many stores remove the tags as they are in the way. And they might replace it with their own tag with whatever info, including price, that they deem important.

The box (in a whole stack of boxes) may or may not match. Think about someone buying a Kala in person. Now the employee has to go to the back and find the box. And she/he finds an alphabet soup of names. Well, maybe last year, someone used the wrong box and that cascades to every Kala in that scale that is sold. So maybe they don't or can't match the box.

So inspect the ukulele. Does it look used or new? Look for strum marks and scratches. Pay particular attention to the fretboard... a used one has wear from playing and oil patterns (shinier away from the frets and not under the strings. The crack is unacceptable in every way, but you should be able to figure out if it was a "new" or used one.

Good luck with the resolution.

I've wondered about Kala's luthier plates for a while now... they do change them every so often. And there are usually some things printed onto them, often at each of the four corners... but they are cryptic as far as I can tell. Once in an odd while I buy one with a date on it but they tend to be older models,

If anybody knows what the Kala codes mean, let us know! I am curious...

If anybody knows what the Kala codes mean, let us know! I am curious...
The number in the left is the revision date. For instance 2006 means the model was revised in June 2020. The number on the right is the build date. For instance, 2107 would mean it was built July 2021.

The number in the left is the revision date. For instance 2006 means the model was revised in June 2020. The number on the right is the build date. For instance, 2107 would mean it was built July 2021.
Hmmmm,,, as an example: My SSTU-t says "5Q" on the left "1801" on the right... not sure about the 5Q, but the January 2018 sounds about right!

Thanks!

I appreciate the responses so far. Email from the company yesterday (from the owner/president) said he will be working on my warranty issue today....whatever that means. I still think they sold me a used uke, but he denies that. Question:

Since it arrived with a split in the back whatever place sold it to you should take it right back and provide a prepaid shipping label to do so. The owner/ president should send you another or refund your money. Working on your warranty issue ??? This is simple, the retailer should take it back for refund or replacement. Anything else is not acceptable.

Top Bottom