Tutorial Jingle Bell Rock - Tutorial

redpaul1

Reaction score
I've been teaching this little boy guitar for a while, & about 3 weeks ago his stepfather asked me to teach him (dad) how to play 'Jingle Bell Rock'. I'd never really looked at it before, but now I'm obsessed with it, in amazement at the sheer variety of chords it manages to pack into its 90-odd seconds from intro to turnaround: major & minor triads; major 7ths; dominant 7ths; minor 7ths (major 6ths); diminished 7ths; half-diminished 7ths (minor 6ths); augmented; augmented 7ths; a 5 (power) chord; and even an 'add ♭9'!

I boiled it down for father and son to learn, but I've been working on 'full-flavour' version ever since, and not only that, adapted it for ukulele. I posted that adaptation in last week's Season of the Ukulele, and got good feedback, so decided to make a tutorial video. I've since seen a lot of great tutorials, including one by our very own Matt Dahlberg, but there's always something more you can do with this song, and so this is my take on how to play 'Jingle Bell Rock':

Chord chart

Top Bottom