New Uke Day (NUD) Jay Lichty's Final Made-to-Order Ukulele

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my experience of being the lucky guy to receive Jay Lichty's final made-to-order instrument. For those who don't know, he announced his retirement from commissions and is now only building what he wants and when he wants. I first met Jay when I drove out to his shop so he could repair an existing instrument of mine. While there, we discussed his instruments and the philosophy behind his builds. During that conversation, I got the feeling he was nearing retirement, so a month later I reached back out to him to inquire about making a ukulele for me. He invited me to come out to discuss a build, which happened to be the day (or day after) he announced his retirement. While there, he watched me play and then went forward with recommendations for materials.

For the top, I originally had thought about Adirondack Spruce, but asked Jay to pick the set he thought would play best. After some tap testing, he recommended a set of Carpathian Spruce. Originally, we discussed the a granadilla body, but when I got there, he pulled out a Milo set that was labeled "Sacred Milo." After a lot of discussion, we decided the Milo was best. I wanted inlay markers that were different than dots, and his set of Martin-like markers were the same I had found online and was going to request. We also decided to go with rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck, bloodwood binding and a slotted headstock.

IMG_0313.JPGIMG_0315.JPGIMG_0316.JPG

I am very happy with the final product! Jay is a world-class luthier and this instrument is no exception. The spruce top provides a crisp, yet deep sound. The Milo turned out to be the right choice. Jay paid special attention to keep some sapwood/ heartwood contrast on the sides as well as the back. Like Jay's other ukuleles, there is a certain bark that provides an edge to the warm attack. It's loud, yet clear as a bell all the way up the neck (I mean every single fret), and produces overtones for days. I think he saved the best for last!

Lichty U187
Top: Carpathian Spruce
Body/Back: Milo (w/ matching faceplate for headstock)
Fretboard: Rosewood
Neck: Mahogany
Binding: Bloodwood
Scale: 19"
Pickup: K&K Aloha

IMG_0425.JPGIMG_0426.JPGIMG_0427.JPGIMG_0428.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0430.JPGIMG_0432.JPG

What a beauty! Thanks for the backstory about Jay and how you both collaborated to reach this wonderful instrument.

A true heirloom with a story behind it.

Beautiful! And so fortunate that you were able to get his last build. Enjoy it for years to come!

Seems like a lot of the luthiers who get mentioned on UU are retiring or cutting back. I hope there are some other great luthiers who will be filling that void.

Wow, that's really nice looking! Congrats!

Gorgeous! I bet it sounds as beautiful as it looks, enjoy!

Top Bottom