Is your uke top too thick?

clear

Reaction score
So, I read about a method to check your top thickness. Quick and dirty, but easy and fun to do.

Hold your uke on its side and look down (i.e. you'll see the ukes side).
Gently squeeze the back and top with your fingers.
Does the top move? If it is too thick, it won't move.

I made a video in case my description isn't good:

I think a lot of flexibility depends on the bracing. I would rather be a little thick than warped or distorted in the future...

Eekie pants. I'm not trying that. I already have a habit of accidentally breaking things. I really don't know how my clumsy-ass hands ever manage to play a musical instrument.

Happened with my favorite mug about a month ago. I was singing some loud belt type song while doing the dishes.

I tightened my transversus muscle to sing, and everything else tightened as well. Ripped the handle off my favorite mug.

Oh well. I still drink out of it.

Yes
I think a lot of flexibility depends on the bracing. I would rather be a little thick than warped or distorted in the future...

Yes, I agree that too-thin tops can cause problems down the road. However, a top that's too-thick also isn't good for sound.

After I read the test, I took some ukes and guitars out of storage and try the squeeze test on them. The only top that didn't move was my acoustic guitar; and I think it's probably like what you said about bracing.

An interesting find was that I noticed that bigger tops moved more; it's a little against intuition since the bigger the instrument has more string tension and should need a stronger top (thicker more bracing).

Anyway, I don't know if the test is even valid, but it is a very simple and interesting test that I thought folks might be interested in trying. I'll see if I can find the original article I read.

Eekie pants. I'm not trying that. I already have a habit of accidentally breaking things. I really don't know how my clumsy-ass hands ever manage to play a musical instrument.

Happened with my favorite mug about a month ago. I was singing some loud belt type song while doing the dishes.

I tightened my transversus muscle to sing, and everything else tightened as well. Ripped the handle off my favorite mug.

Oh well. I still drink out of it.

I think a uke hard case puts on more pressure on the top than this squeeze test.

Just an FYI, when a mug handle breaks off cleanly it's because they aren't joined to the mug correctly (e.g. the joining surfaces aren't scored). It takes surprising little force to break these handles.

Well, just tried it on my Blackbird Clara. No movement at all on a very rigid top. And it sounds wonderful and plays great.

So material and design are important. It is unClear what role the thickness plays in overall sound.

Well, just tried it on my Blackbird Clara. No movement at all on a very rigid top. And it sounds wonderful and plays great.

So material and design are important. It is unClear what role the thickness plays in overall sound.

haha. I'm not sure what role it plays, just that I read about it and thought it was interesting enough to share.

Is that what they call a 'rule of thumb'?

I would not put any faith in such a test. The best way to check is to play the instrument and listen. Or get someone else to play it, while you stand in front facing it. That should tell you all you need to know.

Is that what they call a 'rule of thumb'?

I would not put any faith in such a test. The best way to check is to play the instrument and listen. Or get someone else to play it, while you stand in front facing it. That should tell you all you need to know.

Yes, "rule of thumb" would be the near-perfect description. "Near-perfect" because, frankly, I don't even know if I'd want to give it what much credit :) It reminds of the "avoid the gap" buying tips debate currently going on. But, this is much more interesting to find out.

I think a uke hard case puts on more pressure on the top than this squeeze test.

Just an FYI, when a mug handle breaks off cleanly it's because they aren't joined to the mug correctly (e.g. the joining surfaces aren't scored). It takes surprising little force to break these handles.
Happens with all kinds of objects though. I'm just clumsy and don't isolate muscles well. I flex my core to sing, and every other muscle joins in and I break whatever I'm holding. I cracked my bank card in half that way, too. I was casually singing around the house, powered out a big high note and snapped it in half before I realized what I was doing.

BTW: "The Rule of thumb" comes from ancient English common law. It refers to the diameter of a rod with which a man might legally beat his wife with... This rod used to be included in the Hope Chest commonly given as a wedding present to the new couple...

BTW: "The Rule of thumb" comes from ancient English common law. It refers to the diameter of a rod with which a man might legally beat his wife with... This rod used to be included in the Hope Chest commonly given as a wedding present to the new couple...

I really would love to see a man try...

I took more ukes and guitars out of storage.

The KoAloha KSM02 soprano flexed the most; the Kala KA-SSTU-S soprano flexed a lot too but not as much as the KoAloha. The Kamaka HF1 soprano (as demoed in the above video) moved but barely. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate some of my ukes! The Kamaka HF2 concert moved more noticeably than HF1. Perhaps its time for a cleaning come new year :)

I also tried the Taylor 312 acoustic guitar and its top moved too (although not much, reminds me of the Kamaha HF1); the Yamaha FS830 my other acoustic guitar that I tested didn't move. My pseudo-classical guitar (Taylor Academy 12e-N) moved a lot.

I'm just so very NOT going to squeeze any of my ukes.

Top Bottom