Is there a trick to filling Humistat humidifiers?

mikelz777

Reaction score
Is there a trick to filling Humistat humidifiers? I have a couple of these and when it comes time to fill them, they leak water out of the control vents until I can get the cap/closure back on no matter how quickly I do it. It's not a huge deal or anything, I like them and they work nicely but it is kind of a nuisance on a weekly basis. Maybe it's just a quirk of the design that has to be put up with.

1642790151020.png

Last edited:
Is there a trick to filling Humistat humidifiers? I have a couple of these and when it comes time to fill them, they leak water out of the control vents until I can get the cap/closure back on no matter how quickly I do it. It's not a huge deal or anything, I like them and they work nicely but it is kind of a nuisance on a weekly basis. Maybe it's just a quirk of the design that has to be put up with.

View attachment 138292
The easiest way I've found is to half-fill a cup of water. Then I remove the cap of the Humistat, and dunk it completely in. The cotton inside will swell and the container will fill with water. While it is still submerged, put the cap back on. Dry off the outside and it's ready for use.

OK, I read the above comments and I watched the tutorial from Humistat. Now what do I do? Does it just lie in the instrument body? Are there groves in the humidifier so I can hang it on the strings? Thanx in advance for your help.

I think it is intended to sit in the case. What I've done is tie a string around it and I put it inside the body through the sound hole. That makes it easy to retrieve when I need to refill it.

I think it is intended to sit in the case. What I've done is tie a string around it and I put it inside the body through the sound hole. That makes it easy to retrieve when I need to refill it.
Thank You Mike, I may give one a try. I'm using the Oasis now. Attaching the string is a great idea. Don't know how effective sitting in the case would be. Jim

The Humistats work well. I would have to check, but they used to make a clip that you could attach and leave fixed inside the case. Most string or woodwind players do it like this. Another option is the take some adhesive velcro and attach one side to the case and the other to the tube. You then just pull it off when you wish to remove and refill.

Top Bottom