Insomnia

Hanna2233

Reaction score
I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I thought I'd feel much better after having a rest during the holidays, but it is still here. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall asleep. I'm tired and exhausted and I don't understand the reason. Any advice is appreciated.

I can offer no advice, but...

I often wake up at 03:00 worrying about things equally real and imagined. Twilight will do that. Reliably, I read and start noodling around as quietly as I can. I often go pretty deep into finding notes to transition between chords and discovering new sequences without fear of mistakes until around 05:00 when I drop like a rock.

A bit of confession... this (waking at 3 am) mostly happens when I've had a few too many late into the evening. I am adjusting. No, it not a N-Y's resolution! ;) More as a 'self-nudge' in the right direction.

I have never been a good sleeper. Used to sleep just one hour as a kid.

I sleep well, but many friends and family members are tormented by insomnia. Generally speaking, I think it's good to accept it and go with the flow. If you can't sleep, get up and do something under a soft light, like read a book, or listen to some music so you're not bored to tears. Once you get drowsy, go back to bed. Some people keep a pad of paper by their bedside, to jot down their thoughts and get them out of their head.

Good luck!

I, too, had a bout of insomnia recently, and I also woke up at two or three AM. However, mine was caused by a medicine I was taking, I think, and when I stopped It, a full night’s sleep returned. So, if you’re taking any meds, they could be robbing you of sleep.

I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I thought I'd feel much better after having a rest during the holidays, but it is still here. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall asleep. I'm tired and exhausted and I don't understand the reason. Any advice is appreciated.

Try counting sheeps. Close your eyes and imagine sheeps jumping over a low fence. one by one.

Sleep is very important. Several signs and symptoms of unwellenss can be related to lack of sleep, and we each need 7 to 8 hours a night. Lack of sleep can even be linked to causes of depression and anxiety.
I used to be an insomniac, and it bothered me to no end. I listened to a set of cassette tapes from the library about it and heard that there's a reason we're up in the middle of the night.
So, i decided to get to the root of it. i meditated one night and asked for an answer. I was told to write a book. i set about doing just that. When the book was finished, the insomnia went away.
Your reason may be different.

Sleep is very important. Several signs and symptoms of unwellenss can be related to lack of sleep, and we each need 7 to 8 hours a night. Lack of sleep can even be linked to causes of depression and anxiety.
I used to be an insomniac, and it bothered me to no end. I listened to a set of cassette tapes from the library about it and heard that there's a reason we're up in the middle of the night.
So, i decided to get to the root of it. i meditated one night and asked for an answer. I was told to write a book. i set about doing just that. When the book was finished, the insomnia went away.
Your reason may be different.
Ooo interesting. I'm halfway through writing up book 3 of a trilogy, and took a break cause I ran myself into the ground. Quite proud of myself for all my hard work though.

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol may help some. Some I know have tried melatonin, herbal teas like chamomile or others designed for relaxing. If it is not a passing thing I would discuss it with a doctor, although for me I would avoid the meds that they may want to prescribe in preference for finding changes in life or a natural approach.

When I think of insomnia, I can't help but think of the famous stateroom scene in the Marx Brothers "Night at the Opera" where Harpo is dead asleep and when Groucho asks what he is doing, Chico replies "He has insomnia, he's trying to sleep it off"

Good Luck!

Talk to your doctor about the possibility of a sleep study. Perhaps trained observers with the right equipment could figure out what's waking you up so regularly in the middle of the night.

Life long poor sleeper. As I've aged I am sleeping a little better. Retirement has helped but I probably sleep no more than 6 hours a night. Years ago I had a real bad bout of insomnia. A chiropractic physician friend suggested a saliva test to check my hormone levels. Samples were taken hourly over a 12 hour period. My cortisol levels were completely reversed. Some nutritional supplements were prescribed to help get them back in sync. Within 2-3 weeks things had improved.
My GP asked me some years ago if I was tired during the day when we were discussing this issue. I'm rarely ever tired during the day. At 66 I do go down for a nap every now and then. Doc said I'm getting enough sleep for me and not to worry too much.

Life long poor sleeper. As I've aged I am sleeping a little better. Retirement has helped but I probably sleep no more than 6 hours a night. Years ago I had a real bad bout of insomnia. A chiropractic physician friend suggested a saliva test to check my hormone levels. Samples were taken hourly over a 12 hour period. My cortisol levels were completely reversed. Some nutritional supplements were prescribed to help get them back in sync. Within 2-3 weeks things had improved.
My GP asked me some years ago if I was tired during the day when we were discussing this issue. I'm rarely ever tired during the day. At 66 I do go down for a nap every now and then. Doc said I'm getting enough sleep for me and not to worry too much.
I sometimes suspect I have that. I am often a zombie in the day and wide awake at night.

I sometimes suspect I have that. I am often a zombie in the day and wide awake at night.
You may be one of those rare people who are called "night owls". Your circadian rhythms are reversed. These folks are our night nurses, ER docs, nightwatchmen, grocery stockers, etc. I have a good friend who is a night nurse for hospice. She's indispensable.

You may be one of those rare people who are called "night owls". Your circadian rhythms are reversed. These folks are our night nurses, ER docs, nightwatchmen, grocery stockers, etc. I have a good friend who is a night nurse for hospice. She's indispensable.
Still working at not feeling guilty about it. It's caused some bad feeling over the course of my life. That and sleeping late is a byword for being a lazy loser. When the media want to make someone sound virtuous, they mention how early he got up in the morning. When they want to make someone sound bad, they mention he slept until noon.

edit: deleted, you don't need to hear my ranting and complaining

Last edited:
Still working at not feeling guilty about it. It's caused some bad feeling over the course of my life. That and sleeping late is a byword for being a lazy loser. When the media want to make someone sound virtuous, they mention how early he got up in the morning. When they want to make someone sound bad, they mention he slept until noon.
This has always irritated me too (as a night owl/late riser/occasional insomniac). Often I'll work late just because that's when I'm being productive, and I've hardly ever been productive in the morning. Fortunately I'm old enough now not to care what people think, and I have a job where it usually isn't a problem anyway.

Not that that's why I'm still awake now at 1am. Tonight I'm down a youtube rabbit hole instead. It happens.

This has always irritated me too (as a night owl/late riser/occasional insomniac). Often I'll work late just because that's when I'm being productive, and I've hardly ever been productive in the morning. Fortunately I'm old enough now not to care what people think, and I have a job where it usually isn't a problem anyway.

Not that that's why I'm still awake now at 1am. Tonight I'm down a youtube rabbit hole instead. It happens.
Most of the time I don't care either, too busy being in my own mental world...but sometimes the sheer repetition gets wearing.

Sorry for ranting and being dramatic. Just a bit of a delicate subject for me. Still hard not to feel guilty about sleep.

Prior to the industrial era, humans traditionally followed a biphasic sleep schedule, i.e. they split their sleep into two segments during the night. People would have their first sleep around 9 p.m. or 10 p.m., wake up around midnight for an hour or two, and then have their second sleep after that. The awake phase between the two sleeps was often a quiet one, where people used the time to read, write, meditate, feed the fire, etc. For those who are interested, here’s a link to one of the many articles on the subject:

Prior to the industrial era, humans traditionally followed a biphasic sleep schedule, i.e. they split their sleep into two segments during the night. People would have their first sleep around 9 p.m. or 10 p.m., wake up around midnight for an hour or two, and then have their second sleep after that. The awake phase between the two sleeps was often a quiet one, where people used the time to read, write, meditate, feed the fire, etc. For those who are interested, here’s a link to one of the many articles on the subject:

SAMESIES. I nap from about 11pm to 1am and then sleep again from about 6 to 12...

Also for some reason...I NEED vivid REM for my health. I don't feel well unless I've had some vivid dreams. Even if it's a nightmare about Nazis trying to vivisect me, it still helps. I can't do without em.

I've struggled a lot with insomnia, and I'm definitely getting better these days.
The answer?
It's multifactorial and it involves getting quite a number of "ducks in a row".
Check out Dr Eric Berg on YouTube.

Top Bottom