Indian (Desi) Food!

ploverwing

Duck Wrangler and Rabbit Herder
Staff member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here ya go, @TimWilson - you are a man after my own heart (stomach) with this topic. LOVE Indian cuisine. Two of my go to references for a) Instant Pot and b) Indian cuisine:

Two Sleevers
My Heart Beets

I even have Indian Cooking Under Pressure by Ashley (MyHeartBeets blogger).

Don't know what Desi means, but I love Indian food. The thing I like best is the aromatic spices, the thing I like worst is paying and keeping up with all the aromatic spices. I'm gonna invest in a basic set of common Indian spices to get me started.

"desi" can be use in several ways but it generally is used to describe South Asian peoples such as Indian, Pakistani, Bangladesh, etc. I believe it's origin is Sanskrit and means "province" or "country". Masala dosa and yummy ladoo is always a treat.

Don't know what Desi means, but I love Indian food. The thing I like best is the aromatic spices, the thing I like worst is paying and keeping up with all the aromatic spices. I'm gonna invest in a basic set of common Indian spices to get me started.
If you can, it's better to get the whole spices, so you can toast and grind at the time of use. Ground herbs and spices oxidize more quickly, losing any nutritional value and flavour as a result. Yes the flavours and smells are so amazing!

I love these foods and am going to enjoy this thread.

Until I learn to cook these, I will remain a "foo*".

(*Accolades to Smokey Stover, but I don't want to get all canonical metasyntactic.)

Last edited:
I'm gonna invest in a basic set of common Indian spices to get me started.

You can certainly buy sets from a variety of vendors, but I find that most of them are overkill. Your mileage will absolutely vary, of course, but here's my core, with some Amazon links to specifics. I have the same reservations about Amazon most folks do, but there just aren't many other options as remote as I am.

-- Cumin, both ground and seeds (I LOVE seeds in many dishes!) I completely agree with @ploverwing that grinding your own spices is tastier, but I'm kinda lazy, and Indian cooking can have a lot of steps, and I don't mind saving this one. :)
-- Coriander, ditto. I really am nuts about letting half a teaspoon each of cumin and coriander whole seeds heat up in the oil for a minute before adding the rest of the ingredients.
-- Fenugreek. This is the one most people miss, but man, you gotta have it. Fresh is best, like with all herbs, but I haven't found an Indian market, so I use dried, and it works dandily.
-- Garam masala. Masalas are blends, and they're all a little different. A lot of people tell you to make your own, but I ain't got time for that. LOL I'd rather spend the time cooking than making my own spice blends. This is by far my favorite of the many I've tried. The link is to a pound jar, but most folks will benefit from a smaller package. Fresher is better. :) Maybe start with the 3oz bag.
-- Turmeric. I'm sure they're mostly all pretty good, but again, this one stands out to me.
-- I used to use a lot of fresh and/or powdered ginger, but I've since become enamored of this ginger/garlic paste. The same company makes ginger-only and garlic-only pastes, but I use this quite a bit. The big drawback for me is that they all include sugar, which I'd rather not...but the savings in time and effort, and the positive impact of these on taste is worth it.

Heat is a personal thing for sure, and I'm not of the school that says it HAS to be hot, and regularly make mild dishes for other people...but for ME, yeah, it HAS to be hot. :ROFLMAO: I haven't explored Indian pepper varieties as much as I should, but there are a lot of grocery store cayenne pepper brands that don't taste like anything to me. This one's the winner. (It's Frontier, and I like a lot of their stuff -- avail. at Whole Foods and most health food stores.) You don't have to use nearly as much as with other brands, because you can actually taste it as a nice flavor. Even a little really opens up the rest of the flavors -- kinda like salt that way. You don't necessarily want to taste salt. Sometimes you just want to have it make other things taste more like themselves.

Also, Sriracha Garlic Sauce isn't as blazing hot as you might think, and adds a very nice flavor profile to a lot of vegetable dishes.

Some dishes might require other things, but for what I make, some combination of these is getting it done.

More about specific recipes, books, etc. to follow, but my point here is that it doesn't have to be crazily complicated to get started!

Thanks to @ploverwing to kicking this off! So much yummy stuff to talk about here!

Well, it took me about a year or so, but I've been cooking up some Indian food. So far, I made two dishes (Palak Paneer and Fry Dal) and two breads (Naan and Chapati), and I'm really enjoying eating them. I am ordering some more spices and am wondering about Curry Leaves. Does anyone use them? Do you use them fresh or dried? I see dried curry leaves available online, but the ones in the recipes look like they are fresh. I am wondering if those who use them have any suggestions. Thanks.

Well, it took me about a year or so, but I've been cooking up some Indian food. So far, I made two dishes (Palak Paneer and Fry Dal) and two breads (Naan and Chapati), and I'm really enjoying eating them. I am ordering some more spices and am wondering about Curry Leaves. Does anyone use them? Do you use them fresh or dried? I see dried curry leaves available online, but the ones in the recipes look like they are fresh. I am wondering if those who use them have any suggestions. Thanks.
I've got dried curry leaves in my pantry and have used them. They're fine. Usually, for many recipes anyway, you temper the spices in ghee before you get going with anything else, or sometimes you temper the spices in ghee & something else on the side and then add them in at a later point. I've always used dried spices for that purpose. Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination!!

I've always used dried spices for that purpose. Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination!!

I might feel differently if I had access to more fresh herbs and spices, but I think for me, the only ones I insist on being fresh are basil and cilantro. I'm doing fine with dried/ground otherwise.

I've found a new one for the mix, though --
Rani Asafetida (Hing) https://a.co/d/azMD06d.

It kinda stinks in the jar (I'm wondering if "fetid" in the name is intentional!) but it's really nice in food. In fact, I'm using it in a lot of non-Indian vegetable dishes and soups. It takes the sweet edge off things like cauliflower and carrots, making them more savory without significantly altering other flavors. But it's taken my palak (spinach, more often with chickpeas than cheese... although I do keep some paneer handy just in case) to another level for sure!

We also haven't really talked about rice. I don't do nearly as much as I used to -- I prefer the dish with roti or chapati more often than not -- but this is one is head and shoulders my favorite:
Daawat Ultima Extra Long Grain Basmati Rice, 2-Years Aged, 10lbs https://a.co/d/iiLBzuu

I like Indian food, but have only cooked with ready curry powder from time-to-time because here in the Los Angeles area, there are some excellent Indian restaurants, including very good lunch buffets. I used to do more spicy, but of late I'm doing milder. The thing I have to watch out for is butter, milk or yogurt in the dish, even ghee gives me a stomach problem.

I might feel differently if I had access to more fresh herbs and spices, but I think for me, the only ones I insist on being fresh are basil and cilantro. I'm doing fine with dried/ground otherwise.
Oh I use fresh for all sorts of things that I can get fresh (as you say, all the herby things like cilantro, basil, dill, plus I can get fresh ginger root and turmeric root, garlic), but for almost all of the spice spices (like from tropical climes), I have to go dried. Whole when I can, grind myself, but can't always manage that.
It kinda stinks in the jar (I'm wondering if "fetid" in the name is intentional!) but it's really nice in food.
Any Indian recipe book or blog that I've read pretty much insists that it's a staple. I have yet to remember to look for it.
The thing I have to watch out for is butter, milk or yogurt in the dish, even ghee gives me a stomach problem.
I'm surprised that even ghee bothers you, that's so frustrating! Ghee should only be milk fat, no proteins or sugars left, but I guess for really sensitive folks, there's probably still trace amounts.
I worked with a girl from Gujarat, and she hooked me up with all kinds of good eats, and helped me with my cooking questions.
I'd love to learn properly from someone who's grown up eating and cooking in one of the many Indian cuisine cultures. That would be amazing.

I guess I'l go ahead and order dried curry leaves. I am also getting green cardamom pods, fenugreek leaves, star anise, NIgella black (black caraway, or sometimes called black sesame) seeds and christmas light fuses. I don't think the fuses will taste too good, but am looking forward to the others.
Thanks fellow cookers!

The thing that trips me up sometimes is that some recipes can take a while. I wish I had time to cook more of them!

And while gluten-free roti and chapati are easy, I haven't found a gluten-free naan recipe that's worth the trouble. I miss naan, but I don't miss how I feel after classic baked goods. I was celiac before it was cool. 🤣 (Narrator voice: nothing about it is cool.) That's my next quest, though. I've made so many other GF breads that are quite tasty, but the naan still eludes me!

I forgot to mention about rice that after I've cooked it (and I'm a fiend for cooking it in the ol' Instant Pot), I stir in a half teaspoon or so of jeera, aka cumin seeds. I love the taste, texture, and smell of jeera in rice! If I'm feeling fancy, I'll also bury a whole star anise in the bottom of the rice just to make it even more fragrant.

I stir in a half teaspoon or so of jeera, aka cumin seeds. I love the taste, texture, and smell of jeera in rice!
If you feel adventurous next time temper the jeera in a tablespoon or so of ghee first, then do the rice thing. It's even more awesome (IMHO).

The thing that trips me up sometimes is that some recipes can take a while. I wish I had time to cook more of them!

And while gluten-free roti and chapati are easy, I haven't found a gluten-free naan recipe that's worth the trouble. I miss naan, but I don't miss how I feel after classic baked goods. I was celiac before it was cool. 🤣 (Narrator voice: nothing about it is cool.) That's my next quest, though. I've made so many other GF breads that are quite tasty, but the naan still eludes me!

I forgot to mention about rice that after I've cooked it (and I'm a fiend for cooking it in the ol' Instant Pot), I stir in a half teaspoon or so of jeera, aka cumin seeds. I love the taste, texture, and smell of jeera in rice! If I'm feeling fancy, I'll also bury a whole star anise in the bottom of the rice just to make it even more fragrant.
Jeera rice is on my to-cook list. I found this recipe yesterday Jeera Rice Recipe and am waiting on the Star Anise and the Cardamom pods. I have whole cumin and many more whole spices on the spice rack.
@ploverwing I was lucky to get (oiut of the blue) a mortar and pestle from my brother a few years back and am looking forward to using it.

I always feel silly saying "ghee", would be cool if there was an alternate word to use. I have met many babies who repeat that word all day long. It's cute when they say ghee, but when I say it...not so much. Although I don't really need anyone pinching my cheeks every time I talk about butter.

Top Bottom