Import taxes from UK to US

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone buy a uke from UK (SUS or WOU). I was wondering about import taxes and how much they would be. Saw on another forum that sometimes you get taxed and sometimes you don't. I am located in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance

I ordered my Clearwater baritone uke from "Really Useful Music Co." about two years ago and don't remember any taxes besides the usual state tax. Shipping was reasonable at about $50 and it was at my door in nine days. I would definitely order from them again...

Hi all. Anyone buy a uke from UK (SUS or WOU). I was wondering about import taxes and how much they would be. Saw on another forum that sometimes you get taxed and sometimes you don't. I am located in San Francisco.

Thanks in advance
I bought 2 ukes from SUS last year (both in the $1500 range). Import fees were around $90 each time. They used UPS, which required I pay the fees before the uke was delivered.

I ordered my Clearwater baritone uke from "Really Useful Music Co." about two years ago and don't remember any taxes besides the usual state tax. Shipping was reasonable at about $50 and it was at my door in nine days. I would definitely order from them again
I bought 2 ukes from SUS last year (both in the $1500 range). Import fees were around $90 each time. They used UPS, which required I pay the fees before the uke was delivered.
Thank you both for the feedback!!

I'm in the US, and bought from World of Ukes. There were no additional taxes or fees. I believe this is typical when you purchase from WOU.

May depend on the shipper that the business uses. UPS definitely charges up front for import AND brokerage fees, whether you'd get dinged with taxes or not through another shipper. I don't love UPS.

I'm in the US, and bought from World of Ukes. There were no additional taxes or fees. I believe this is typical when you purchase from WOU.
This was my experience as well. I purchased a Flight travel uke, only paid $7.00 for standard shipping, and it arrived just 4 days after I ordered it! Definitely a happy-dance time. :)

I bought one from SUS and had to pay about $110 in custom and brokerage fees from UPS before the uke was delivered. According to some info I found on the customs site, if it was made in the USA, you're not supposed to have to pay fees. Mine was a K brand made in Hawaii. Still had to pay.

Hi Cadia. Do you know what shipping company you used? SUS told me that I would have the choice in DHL, Fedex, UPS.

Hi Cadia. Do you know what shipping company you used? SUS told me that I would have the choice in DHL, Fedex, UPS.
Whatever World of Ukes selected. I can try to go back through his emails and find out.

Do bear in mind that "things have changed" in recent months, both with knock-on effects of the UK leaving the EU (Brexit) and a revision of international postage/shipping regulations.
Any experiences from more than six months ago may well now be irrelevant.
Check and double check … things have gotten expensive!
None of this reflects on the retailer/seller, obviously, but it's got a lot more difficult to "get away" with not paying import duties on lower value items!

Do bear in mind that "things have changed" in recent months, both with knock-on effects of the UK leaving the EU (Brexit) and a revision of international postage/shipping regulations.
Any experiences from more than six months ago may well now be irrelevant.
Check and double check … things have gotten expensive!
None of this reflects on the retailer/seller, obviously, but it's got a lot more difficult to "get away" with not paying import duties on lower value items!
Thanks for the feedback. I was reading about some changes due to brexit etc..

I've always had best luck duties-wise with DHL. Also better communication, timeliness and easier web app. Although Kypfer's point is well taken that things have changed, as even DHL collected for my last purchase.

Jan here... The quick delivery of my uke from WOU came via DHL. I remember it clearly because it’s the only DHL delivery I’ve ever received. But this was at least 3 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

I bought one from SUS and had to pay about $110 in custom and brokerage fees from UPS before the uke was delivered. According to some info I found on the customs site, if it was made in the USA, you're not supposed to have to pay fees. Mine was a K brand made in Hawaii. Still had to pay.
Duty is exempt but you still have to pay sales tax.

Top Bottom