I took steel wool to my Koaloha Tenor, and this is my results.

ukuevey

Reaction score
KTM-00, from Mim. The neck always felt sticky. ? I would wipe it down with a hard cloth. Tried all the tricks. So, I did the steel wool. For such a beautiful instrument, I was very reluctant to do this. I did it. Now, all is so much smoother. There is so much more to this story, .....

Way to go! Instrument necks do not need lacquered coatings! All you need is some wax on the bare wood. Your hand will glide up and down that neck with ease!

I like a satin neck also. I have an all solid Acacia Concert ukulele that I did the the same thing to. Gloss finish including the neck. Gave the neck a buffing down with 0000 steel wool.
It really improved they playability.

Normal photo copy paper makes a very useful fine abrasive to fine polish wood. For a neck polish treatment, you can fold it down to a 1" strip and run it along the neck. It can be just as effective as 00000 steel wool, but takes a bit more time and leaves a smoother surface. It does remove finish, so you can sand down a thin finish to the bare wood before you know it, if you overdo it.

I learned how to use it from instructions on cleaning the airways of expensive whistles and recorders.

Recently I used paper to sand back some small scratches on a guitar and blend them out. It will make a matt surface shiny, with a similar shine to the wear from your strumming hand. It did a good job and leaves no sign of scratching.
Who knew?

Top Bottom