I Love Baseball But.....

Doc Ivory

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I truly enjoy watching the Yankees as Ive been a fan since I was in maybe 7th grade or so.
But I think I truly enjoy football (NY Giants) more.

I fully understand the draw and appeal of American football, soccer, hockey and basketball. Friends and coworkers condemn baseball for being “boring” and “slow”. But its appeal goes far deeper than the game itself.

I personally find few sounds as inherently calming and primally peaceful than Major League Baseball play- by- play on the radio.

This past Sunday we made the short drive to Truist Park to spend several hours of my adult daughter’s birthday at the Braves- Diamondbacks game. I was aware that her boyfriend was a huge baseball fan but hadn’t realized why until we had a chance to talk on the way to the ballpark.

When the young man was only 10, his father was killed in a traffic accident. At that time, the boy had already amassed an impressive collection of signed baseballs including ones from such greats as Phil Neikro, Dale Murphy and Hank Aaron. How did he get all those signed baseballs?

From the young man’s earliest memories, his dad took him to Atlanta Braves games at least twice a week. When the boy entered elementary school, the dad would check him out early to catch batting practice. The two showed up so often at games that Braves players, coaches and even executives such as the late, great Hank Aaron actually recognized the young dad and his chunky blond- haired son. Many went out of their way to have direct conversations with the boy and were happy to autograph his baseballs.

Last edited:
Thats an amazing story, holy smokes. Hank Aaron, Phil Niekro... Amazing names from my youth.
I can see why he's pretty passionate about the game.

I can still tell by sound, when a ball is going out. Kids today? Many couldn't care less.
I remember going on class trips to Yankee stadium.

I dunno, maybe I'm romanticizing my youth,

I fully understand the draw and appeal of American football, soccer, hockey and basketball. Friends and coworkers condemn baseball for being “boring” and “slow”. But its appeal goes far deeper than the game itself.

I personally find few sounds as inherently calming and primally peaceful than Major League Baseball play- by- play on the radio.

This past Sunday we made the short drive to Truist Park to spend several hours of my adult daughter’s birthday at the Braves- Diamondbacks game. I was aware that her boyfriend was a huge baseball fan but hadn’t realized why until we had a chance to talk on the way to the ballpark.

When the young man was only 10, his father was killed in a traffic accident. At that time, the boy had already amassed an impressive collection of signed baseballs including ones from such greats as Phil Neikro, Dale Murphy and Hank Aaron. How did he get all those signed baseballs?

From the young man’s earliest memories, his dad took him to Atlanta Braves games at least twice a week. When the boy entered elementary school, the dad would check him out early to catch batting practice. The two showed up so often at games that Braves players, coaches and even executives such as the late, great Hank Aaron actually recognized the young dad and his chunky blond- haired son. Many went out of their way to have direct conversations with the boy and were happy to autograph his baseballs.

By the way, I'm an Earl Scruggs fan as well.
Plenty were excellent but none better.

By the way, I'm an Earl Scruggs fan as well.
Plenty were excellent but none better.
Tony Trishka is the only banjo player I enjoy more because his style is an amazing mix of Scruggs, Don Reno and Raymond Fairchild.

Tony Trishka is the only banjo player I enjoy more because his style is an amazing mix of Scruggs, Don Reno and Raymond Fairchild.
Tony Trishka is great.
I loved Roy Clark as well but Bella Fleck and the Flecktones rocked me a few years back.
I think he's dropped his band as i only see him advertised as touring with others.

Still, would have loved to see Earl and Doc Watson... Just never did.

Top Bottom