I did my very first open mic at a uke circle and it was really bad, but I really wanted to tick that box off. Don't worry, no evidence

baconsalad

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just posting this to note a moment in time. I've been off my anxiety meds (alcohol) for 11 months. It was amazing, my hands were shaking like crazy. I flubbed notes but mostly kept time and my voice was barely coming out because I couldn't draw air but I made it through. I've never been that physically affected by irrational fear to that extent before. People were kind and said next one will be easier.

You know this stuff! You can do it and do it with confidence! Trust your brain and your talents! congrats on your first foray! As the kids say: "you got this!"

Well congratulations for working up the courage to do this and succeeding. Checking it off the bucket list is big! If you continue, I expect that you will improve each time.

For me, I am a big chicken and only play at home in front of an audience of one (my TV). And I make mistakes every single time.

Been there, done that. It will get easier.

I think I broke out in flop sweats every time I got up solo for about the first year... Now it is just fun.

Stick with it.

-Kurt​

Wow, good for you! I’ve got a lot of respect for anyone who can overcome their anxiety and perform in front of an audience, just the thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat, even the dog makes me nervous.

Just posting this to note a moment in time. I've been off my anxiety meds (alcohol) for 11 months. It was amazing, my hands were shaking like crazy. I flubbed notes but mostly kept time and my voice was barely coming out because I couldn't draw air but I made it through. I've never been that physically affected by irrational fear to that extent before. People were kind and said next one will be easier.
Immense respect here. I played in front of just four people from my immediate family the other night and my hands were shaking 😅

Congrats!

Congratulations, I am super impressed. Well done! I can't play in front of my teacher without having everything fall apart, let alone playing for an actual real audience. Props!!

It was amazing, my hands were shaking like crazy. I flubbed notes but mostly kept time and my voice was barely coming out because I couldn't draw air but I made it through. I've never been that physically affected by irrational fear to that extent before. People were kind and said next one will be easier.
Yep, I can relate to all that. The big breakthrough for me was the first time I totally blanked while performing alone on a stage. It was the thing I dreaded most but once it had happened, and there were no dire consequences, I realised it was nothing to be scared of.

Congratulations, Baconsalad, you have taken the first steps and you are on your way!

Yes, congrats on breaking the ice! Keep doing it and it will be easier. I did a few hundred gigs with our classic rock band, but I did guitar/backup vocals, was never the lead vocalist. Although I play uke/sing for friends and family, haven't done any live, on stage uke perfornances, but suspect it would be a different kind of challenge, being all alone up there.

Top Bottom