Hurricane Hilary - Stay Safe

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
With Hurricane Hilary dumping rain in the West & South West states, stay safe y'all.

And stay out of those arroyos. The force of the water can be very, very strong and sweep your car or truck away even if it doesn't look deep or strong.

When I was in high school, I lived near a park system that had creeks you had to ford to get back to the pavilions. The water was a little high after a rain, but not bad. We had a gathering of classmates for an end of year picnic. A friend's car was a VW bug. Which had a flat panel under the car. He tried to cross the ford, and the water picked his car up, with him in it, and carried it quite a ways down the creek before it got hung up in some trees! And that was a relatively gentle flow of water.

All the best to y'all in CA, NV, AZ, NM, UT and everyone else affected.

Who'd a thought there'd ever be a hurricane on the West Coast?

I live in the Los Angeles area called Beverly Grove West, a dog leg between Beverly Hills across the street to the south, and West Hollywood three blocks to the north. It rained moderately to somewhat heavy all day and night Sunday. It stopped early Monday.

About 6pm Sunday the power went out in my neighborhood and is still out at 1:30pm Monday. The rains we had a few months ago lasted a few days and was harder at times than this one long day, and no power outage.

Across the street in Beverly Hills, they never lost power. I've been stuck in my 5th floor apartment since the rain started. With the power out, no elevator and walking up and down the stairs is too difficult with a partial handicap. Also, my garage gate is closed and too difficult to pry open.

To bide my time, I've been playing, and also used my iPhone 13 to stream a couple if movies, but then I reached my data cap, dropping speed so slow, you can't function. So I contacted AT&T and got unlimited data.

At least now I can post here easily and also keep myself entertained, and do some practicing.

About 6pm Sunday the power went out in my neighborhood and is still out at 1:30pm Monday. The rains we had a few months ago lasted a few days and was harder at times than this one long day, and no power outage.
Losing power is no joy. I'm surprised you are still without if the areas around you aren't affected? Especially in an urban environment. That sucks.

With Hurricane Hilary dumping rain in the West & South West states, stay safe y'all.

And stay out of those arroyos. The force of the water can be very, very strong and sweep your car or truck away even if it doesn't look deep or strong.

When I was in high school, I lived near a park system that had creeks you had to ford to get back to the pavilions. The water was a little high after a rain, but not bad. We had a gathering of classmates for an end of year picnic. A friend's car was a VW bug. Which had a flat panel under the car. He tried to cross the ford, and the water picked his car up, with him in it, and carried it quite a ways down the creek before it got hung up in some trees! And that was a relatively gentle flow of water.

All the best to y'all in CA, NV, AZ, NM, UT and everyone else affected.

Who'd a thought there'd ever be a hurricane on the West Coast?
Don't forget Mexico. They're being hit much worse than the USA.

I live in southeast NM and so far all we've had is some wind storms so far. Up north they're getting all the rain.

central NM here and the power went out at the plant I work for an hour...but I think it was a coincidence. We've had no weather. Nonetheless, every year we lose about 5 people or so to flash floods in the arroyos during the monsoon season. I find it difficult to believe because I'm not much of a frontiersman but while elk hunting my father at least taught me not to walk in arroyos. On the other hand, people die even more mundanely by the dozen by being careless in their vehicles. I guess it is rather easy to let your guard down.

I was in central Utah this past weekend, doing a river rafting trip on the Green River. Lots of dark clouds around us, but we never got rained on. Must have been some heavy rain north of us, because the Price River as it entered the Green River was like chocolate milk and full of debris. The wind really picked up on Sunday, and we were glad to get off the river. A little rain, but a lot of wind in the Salt Lake Valley yesterday, and more predicted today.

Top Bottom