Strings How high can you tune the A string without breaking

Well, I've broken a couple of A strings. This is on a Venetian style 16-1/2" ukulele. The string feels very tight and I'm considering replacing the tuning machines.

Honestly it depends on whether the uke itself has fully opened up or not.

And, isn’t that the same number of licks it takes to get to the gooey chewy center of a Tootsie pop? Wait…we must ask Mr. Owl. :ROFLMAO:
If you are tuning up fluoros, this^.

Nylons give you a more immediate and specific answer.

Yeah, those are the strings I was referring to - Aquila Mandolin tuning = 30U. I have an ukulele strung with these. But the first string is not an A string, it's definitely a narrower gauge, it's meant to be tuned to that high E above the A of a typical ukulele.

Bet it breaks easily.
That's my understanding - you have to be pretty careful with it. I've so far had ok luck with it, but I also use the Aquila Reds and their A is prone to breaking if you're not careful. I'm sure I'll deal with breakages, lol, but I've tried to make sure that the strings are carefully stretched and the nut groove is smoothed out. So far so good! It's fun to play fingerstyle, I'd be concerned about really shredding with it, though.

That's my understanding - you have to be pretty careful with it. I've so far had ok luck with it, but I also use the Aquila Reds and their A is prone to breaking if you're not careful. I'm sure I'll deal with breakages, lol, but I've tried to make sure that the strings are carefully stretched and the nut groove is smoothed out. So far so good! It's fun to play fingerstyle, I'd be concerned about really shredding with it, though.
Might be more prone to breaking than a steel violin E

Might be more prone to breaking than a steel violin E
Yes... but you're not going to want to load a steel violin E on an ukulele - the instrument is not robust enough to handle that level of tension (at least, I would sure as heck not want to try it). The bracing and build on ukuleles is intended for nylon or fluorocarbon, not metal strings (even the wound strings have nylon cores). Completely different animal.

I have broken an E on my violin (that was traumatizing). I have yet to break an A on my ukulele (hold my beer... lol), but I am sure it's just a matter of time.

Depends on the diameter and composition of the string?
Reminds me of one of my favourite Roger McGough one liners - I've reached breaking point he snapped.

GDAE high E on soprano scale:
LaBella Rectified Nylon .016"
They will have to be restretched, tugged out, and retightened several times over the first several days. But once settled in, they will take a fair amount of abuse. Playing with groups, I do a lot of "mandolin chops" and quarter-note arpeggio-ing.

Like ploverwing said, the nut must have a smooth surface or it will wear or cut the string.

<edit> Referring to the post below, notice that the strings are 45" long! On soprano scale, you'll get a "2-fer" spare with the leftover.

Last edited:
GDAE high E on soprano scale:
LaBella Rectified Nylon .016"
They will have to be restretched, tugged out, and retightened several times over the first several days. But once settled in, they will take a fair amount of abuse. Playing with groups, I do a lot of "mandolin chops" and quarter-note arpeggio-ing.

Like ploverwing said, the nut must have a smooth surface or it will wear or cut the string.
I know this to be factual, as I've occasionally used it myself. While searching for a suitable small diameter string, I came upon this recommendation from 2019:

1000015941.jpg

Top Bottom