Help with buzzing C string

Arthurrock

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my tenor ukelele a couple of days ago from an online store. I am a complete beginner and while it has been a great experience so far, I have noticed that the C string makes a buzzing sound. It happens even if I am not playing any chords. The only reason, what I've seen so far, maybe the tuning peg. I haven't noticed any other issues. Is the peg the reason? Or is it something else? What should I do?
Here's a pic of the tuning peg and a recording of the sound

Buzzing can be a puzzling problem. Often, it is caused by the deflection of the string allowing it to come into contact with a fret. It may be that the string is adjusted too low (sometimes called low 'action') or a fret can be standing slightly higher than the others. It is difficult to diagnose without having hands on the uke.

This is not easy to diagnose from afar as John says.

But from looking at the picture you took, the bushing of the tuner for the C string should be flush against the headstock. It looks like there is a gap, which could possibly mean the tuning post or some other part in there vibrates and causes the buzzing.

In any case, if you just bought it I would suggest returning it to the seller. Describe the problem, you do not have to fix it youself.

In an interview that I heard recently, I recall Joel from HMS saying that buzzing on the C string is often caused by a poorly installed string with not enough tension. You cannot just tighten the string, you may need to increase the break angle at the nut.

This is not easy to diagnose from afar as John says.

But from looking at the picture you took, the bushing of the tuner for the C string should be flush against the headstock. It looks like there is a gap, which could possibly mean the tuning post or some other part in there vibrates and causes the buzzing.

In any case, if you just bought it I would suggest returning it to the seller. Describe the problem, you do not have to fix it youself.
I did not notice the gap. That is exactly the sort of thing that can cause buzzing. Make sure all fittings are tight and snug. Don't over-tighten, they only have to be tight enough.;)

Top Bottom