Help me choose a timber combination

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I'm starting out a couple of spec instruments that will be for sale in a couple of months. I thought I had the wood combo's sorted out, but now I'm of two minds on which I prefer. The choice is Australian Blackwood with either a Torrified Sitka Spruce or an Engelmann Spruce soundboard.

The other is Ambrosia Maple with the same choice.

Which would you choose?

Attachments

• Soundboard Choices_0000.jpg
    Soundboard Choices_0000.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Soundboard Choices_0001.jpg
    Soundboard Choices_0001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • Soundboard Choices_0002.jpg
    Soundboard Choices_0002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 35
  • Soundboard Choices_0003.jpg
    Soundboard Choices_0003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
0001 gets my vote. Primarily for visual reasons but also think it will be a nice tonal combination.

Both stunning.
Visually, for me, I’d love to see that light maple with the dark torrefied top. One of your lovely segmented rosettes in maple would really set it off.

Doesn’t seem like you can go wrong sound wise. Visually, I love the contrast of light and dark together even though some will say “this is not guitar lutherie!” That maple is sublime and that blackwood is stunning.

Any way to make the entire body out of the same wood? I don't mind mixed wood on guitars so much, but on ukes it doesn't do it for me. If you were making a guitar, I would choose option 1 or 3.

I'm starting out a couple of spec instruments that will be for sale in a couple of months. I thought I had the wood combo's sorted out, but now I'm of two minds on which I prefer. The choice is Australian Blackwood with either a Torrified Sitka Spruce or an Engelmann Spruce soundboard.

The other is Ambrosia Maple with the same choice.

Which would you choose?
1 and 3 for me. Good contrast.

Top Bottom