Low G Planning on a Low G Concert. Help me choose?

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles

BiosphereDecay

Reaction score
So money is pretty tight, I was hoping to keep it under $100. Primarily planning to use this with an amp. These are the two I'm currently looking at:

Brand: Ellen (never heard of this brand)
$120
Built-in tuner, bass mid and treble knobs.

Brand: EASTROCK
$74
A bit more attractive imo. No tuner, just a volume and tone knob. Looks like a higher quality case though. How does a single tone knob differ from the three on the other one exactly? Also, how hard is this style of bridge to restring?

I might be able to go up to like $150, if anyone has other brand recommendations.

Also interested in opinions on what type of strings everyone prefers for low G.

I don't know which amp you're going to use, but I would suggest: avoid built-in stuff with lotsa knobs and buttons. Go for a simple piezo under the saddle. The amp will take care of the rest.

On the uke: Flight has some electro-acoustic models within your price-range, and that's a brand you'll find here on UU with some happy users. To be clear, I don't have a Flight myself.
I personally would stay away from the "never-heard-of-but-take-a-gamble" brands, especially when on a budget and you cannot afford to spend on a dissapointing dud.

If I had the same budget? A basic Kala / Makala or a Lanikai will set you back $100, and I would throw in a simple piezo from the likes of Shadow etc. for $50. That low-G will come later this month I guess 😉. And for that, I would just start with a 0.030 guitar string, see if you like it before shelling out on fancy stuff.

Last one on the side: don't get carried away...

Good luck uke-hunting!

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend that you try to find a used uke because in that price range you're going to get a much better instrument. You might not get the look you want, and you might have to deal with minor cosmetic issues, but you'll get an instrument that originally cost $250 for under $100 and it still plays like $250 (and it will for the next 20 years). You can put a WANTED ad in the Marketplace section of the Forum, and maybe someone has a concert they've "outgrown" (replaced with a fancier one).

FWIW, I have an $60 Eastrock. It was my first Concert uke (I'd been playing Tenor before that). It's really not a bad instrument. It's laminate, but it's well-made, plays well, and it sounds good with Low G. Mine doesn't have electronics, can't speak to that. At a $100 price point, I wouldn't expect great things from the electronics. But, they'll probably work for a while.

In fact, when I play my Eastrock back-to-back with my Sinker Redwood Ohana, it still sounds pretty good! I think it's actually louder, but the Ohana has LOTS more sustain. The Eastrock is currently on loan to a friend.

One of these would fit the budget; https://www.enya-music.com/products/nova-u-carbon-black
Mine is strung with Fremont Black Line low G strings for the "black on black" look.
Haha this was my first uke actually. (Though it's a tenor.) I would love it if it was electric, but despite it's looks, it's pure acoustic, which is why I'm looking for a new one in the first place. I'd maybe like a hard body electric, but they seem more expensive.

I don't know which amp you're going to use, but I would suggest: avoid built-in stuff with lotsa knobs and buttons. Go for a simple piezo under the saddle. The amp will take care of the rest.

On the uke: Flight has some electro-acoustic models within your price-range, and that's a brand you'll find here on UU with some happy users. To be clear, I don't have a Flight myself.
I personally would stay away from the "never-heard-of-but-take-a-gamble" brands, especially when on a budget and you cannot afford to spend on a dissapointing dud.

If I had the same budget? A basic Kala / Makala or a Lanikai will set you back $100, and I would throw in a simple piezo from the likes of Shadow etc. for $50. That low-G will come later this month I guess 😉. And for that, I would just start with a 0.030 guitar string, see if you like it before shelling out on fancy stuff.

Last one on the side: don't get carried away...

Good luck uke-hunting!

Thanks for the brand recommendations! I've got a lot to look into.

I've looked through many brands, and keeping budget in mind, I ended up drawn to this one. I've had a good experience with Enya so far.

The thing I'm worried about is that the hole in the bridge for the g string won't be big enough for a low g. I had to sandpaper the notch in my Nova U for the low g to fit.

This bridge doesn't have notches, so I have no clue how to widen the hole. Does anyone know what tool I would need to do that? Alternatively, does anyone know this model well enough to tell me if this is a valid concern?

This review is very favorable, and shows a clear picture of the bridge. I can't really tell if the hole is big enough or not though. Not the best eyes.

Last edited:
Would guess that the hole is plenty large. I have a few string through bridges and hole diameter is not a concern for low G strings.

Looks like a legit choice for the money. I suspect you could go cheaper and get the solid top laminate version for half the price and likely not be able to tell the difference in sound. Most of the sound comes from the soundboard.

But, neither of them have a pickup. I thought you wanted to go electric?

Looks like a legit choice for the money. I suspect you could go cheaper and get the solid top laminate version for half the price and likely not be able to tell the difference in sound. Most of the sound comes from the soundboard.

But, neither of them have a pickup. I thought you wanted to go electric?
Under size/type there's a "Concert Acoustic Electric" option.

Pretty sure I want to try Fremont Black line strings with it.

I wouldn't do this any time soon, but if I wanted to add a custom design to the soundboard, what options are there, and roughly how much might this sort of thing cost?

Under size/type there's a "Concert Acoustic Electric" option.

Pretty sure I want to try Fremont Black line strings with it.
Love those strings. Feel soft on your hands. Maybe try Craigslist or someone local so you don't have to sweat that you'll get it in the mail
IMO if you like a higher tone get spruce, and if you like a lower sound try cedar

The Enya is probably the best you’ll get in that price range for $89 your getting a ukulele from a reliable company with a pickup on board.
There should be no problem with a Low G string, especially if you choose a smooth wound string since they seem to be smaller diameter than non-wound.
I was looking around for you and found this Kala which is very nice but goes for $169.

Top Bottom