Hello from southern California!

Kakers

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new here and both kinda new and not at all new to playing ukulele. I got my first ukulele in 2017 when I was living in Hawaii but haven't been consistent in playing despite having a couple nice instruments! I've picked them back up recently and am trying to keep myself practicing instead of going and buying another uke or two. It seems whenever the urge hits me to start playing again UAS also hits quite strong.

My first ukulele was a beginner Kala, a soprano KA-15S. It did the job and I learned a handful of songs, mostly Christmas music. Still have it, play it a bit less than my other two.

In 2018 I decided I wanted something a little nicer. I knew I ultimately, eventually, would want something solid Koa made in Hawaii but given I'd been playing less than a year and wasn't sure with my ADHD if I'd really keep playing I was looking for something a bit nicer but still fairly affordable more mid range. I poked around on the TUS website and saw one I liked the look and sound of and figured since they were on island I may as well see what they had in store so I could get a feel in person. The particular one they had on the website wasn't in the retail store, but they DID have a beautiful used Koaloha soprano pineapple. Even though it was a couple hundred more than I was hoping to spend, I knew this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Even though I had a gorgeous Koa instrument, in 2020 after starting to play a little again I decided I wanted something new. As much as I love the look of Koa, I also knew I love the sound of mahogany. So in 2020 I grabbed a Romero mahogany concert. Though I do still prefer soprano size, there's just something about the tone of the mahogany with the low G that just feels instantly soothing even with just the simplest of chords. And as a bonus it's also a gorgeous instrument.

Anyways I can play like 2 songs at this point but have 3 ukuleles. I moved back to the mainland 3 years ago and have just started playing them again after neglecting them since the move. Actively fighting UAS as my budget says no despite there being over $5k worth of instruments I'd be buying today if I won the lottery.

Welcome to the UU forums! UAS is definitely a struggle for many here, and/or a joy to experience, depending on your financial situation 😂. Sounds like you have some great ukuleles.

Yes for sure!! It's a mixed bag having the nice ukes. Going straight from the $50 one to Koaloha means I still get the UAS bug but since I already have something I consider REALLY nice the more tempting ukes also tend to be more expensive ones. I skipped entirely over that $200 range where there's certainly plenty of quite nice instruments but am not really interested in those because, well, I already have these nice ones 🤣 so I still get the bug but can't often afford to indulge it which I guess is overall a good thing.

Welcome. For me, it's not ukulele acquisition SYNDROME, it's ukulele acquisition PASSION (UAP) because it's great fun searching and finding.

Hey all! I'm new here and both kinda new and not at all new to playing ukulele. I got my first ukulele in 2017 when I was living in Hawaii but haven't been consistent in playing despite having a couple nice instruments! I've picked them back up recently and am trying to keep myself practicing instead of going and buying another uke or two. It seems whenever the urge hits me to start playing again UAS also hits quite strong.

My first ukulele was a beginner Kala, a soprano KA-15S. It did the job and I learned a handful of songs, mostly Christmas music. Still have it, play it a bit less than my other two.

In 2018 I decided I wanted something a little nicer. I knew I ultimately, eventually, would want something solid Koa made in Hawaii but given I'd been playing less than a year and wasn't sure with my ADHD if I'd really keep playing I was looking for something a bit nicer but still fairly affordable more mid range. I poked around on the TUS website and saw one I liked the look and sound of and figured since they were on island I may as well see what they had in store so I could get a feel in person. The particular one they had on the website wasn't in the retail store, but they DID have a beautiful used Koaloha soprano pineapple. Even though it was a couple hundred more than I was hoping to spend, I knew this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Even though I had a gorgeous Koa instrument, in 2020 after starting to play a little again I decided I wanted something new. As much as I love the look of Koa, I also knew I love the sound of mahogany. So in 2020 I grabbed a Romero mahogany concert. Though I do still prefer soprano size, there's just something about the tone of the mahogany with the low G that just feels instantly soothing even with just the simplest of chords. And as a bonus it's also a gorgeous instrument.

Anyways I can play like 2 songs at this point but have 3 ukuleles. I moved back to the mainland 3 years ago and have just started playing them again after neglecting them since the move. Actively fighting UAS as my budget says no despite there being over $5k worth of instruments I'd be buying today if I won the lottery.
My number of ukuleles far exceeds my skill level (I have another 10 that are not listed in my signature below), but I am having a great time playing them anyway.

Also, I know what you mean about getting a really nice ukulele early. Everything that tempts me now is over $800 new. Fortunately, I have found some great used ukuleles here in the forum for less.

Welcome!

My number of ukuleles far exceeds my skill level (I have another 10 that are not listed in my signature below), but I am having a great time playing them anyway.

Also, I know what you mean about getting a really nice ukulele early. Everything that tempts me now is over $800 new. Fortunately, I have found some great used ukuleles here in the forum for less.

Welcome!

If my budget allows I will eventually have a bigger collection though I doubt I'll get to double digits! But yes, I'm in the same boat the current ones I like the most start at just about $800. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on what comes up used.

Welcome! There's a few of us in SoCal, can't beat the sunshine and ukulele combo! I just picked up a nice ukulele myself, and it really raised the bar. So i'm in the same boat where the ones that interest me most now are the REAL nice $$$ ones :ROFLMAO:

welcome from SW Florida!

Welcome to UU, Kakers!
Mahogany is my preference too. Anyway, a couple of ukes in different tunings will open up lots of different styles and genres. Have fun on your uke journey!

Welcome to UU!
Ukes may come, and ukes may go, but UAS lasts forever.
I'm definitely on the bottom-feeder end of the spectrum, myself. My current stable includes mahogany, acacia and calfskin as well as various laminates. Each one has its own voice and I enjoy them all. I only need one more. :rolleyes:

Welcome to UU!
Ukes may come, and ukes may go, but UAS lasts forever.
I'm definitely on the bottom-feeder end of the spectrum, myself. My current stable includes mahogany, acacia and calfskin as well as various laminates. Each one has its own voice and I enjoy them all. I only need one more. :rolleyes:
Calfskin! That sounds like an interesting one.

Hi Kakers, welcome to the UU Forum. Don't listen to us. We are a group of enablers. We love to hear about new ukuleles and what members are playing. We encourage UAS.

OK, we aren't that bad. But we do love to talk about our ukuleles and all aspects of owning and playing them. And what our newest covets are...

On way you can encourage your learning and your UAS is to set some goals for your learning like new scales, or memorizing the fretboard, or new strum or finger style patterns. Anything you want to learn. And reward yourself for learning them. Like putting $5 in the UAS kitty for small goals and $20 for a biggie.

Most of all, remember to play music as you progress and enjoy your instruments. Have fun as you learn.

Hi Kakers, welcome to the UU Forum. Don't listen to us. We are a group of enablers. We love to hear about new ukuleles and what members are playing. We encourage UAS.

OK, we aren't that bad. But we do love to talk about our ukuleles and all aspects of owning and playing them. And what our newest covets are...

On way you can encourage your learning and your UAS is to set some goals for your learning like new scales, or memorizing the fretboard, or new strum or finger style patterns. Anything you want to learn. And reward yourself for learning them. Like putting $5 in the UAS kitty for small goals and $20 for a biggie.

Most of all, remember to play music as you progress and enjoy your instruments. Have fun as you learn.

The behaviorist in me loves the reward progress idea to work towardsa new ukulele. The ADHD in me says "new shiny uku will be so much fun to play I'll want to practice all the time!" 🤣

Welcome to the UU forums! UAS is definitely a struggle for many here, and/or a joy to experience, depending on your financial situation 😂. Sounds like you have some great ukuleles.
syn·drome /ˈsinˌdrōm/ noun
a group of symptoms which consistently occur together, or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.

Uh-huh... OK. I have happily succumbed ;)

Ukulele: "If it Feels Good, Do It!"
(Yes, "appropriated" from the 60's. I was there.)

Prolly too deep, but:

From the article: "As you think about your next... [ukulele and], ...your next bit of unstructured free time, what choices will you make? What would feel good? Now, pause for a beat and a half, and ask the question again, what would feel really good?

Last edited:
Hey all! I'm new here and both kinda new and not at all new to playing ukulele. I got my first ukulele in 2017 when I was living in Hawaii but haven't been consistent in playing despite having a couple nice instruments! I've picked them back up recently and am trying to keep myself practicing instead of going and buying another uke or two.
"The Daily Ukulele" books are the reliable impetus to keep me engaged and learning. They have a wide variety of genres with various difficulty, and the melody line to help you learn staff notes by name. It also shows what the first singing note is --> that is a big help!

To start, look for 2, 3 or 4 chords songs, then grow from there. Keep a pencil and 'Pink Pearl' handy to make notes on the pages as you go.

Top Bottom