Hello from Port Angeles, WA

yarnpoet

Reaction score
Joined UU this week, found it in one of my recent google searches, or maybe wondering what UU was after seeing the fun NAMM 2010 videos on youtube by UU.

Have 4 ukes(or 3, since one is my daughters). Started this summer so I would have a hobby again, since my last one turned into my job (fiber arts). Which is not to say that I'm tired of wool, just that I needed a diversion from it.

So, they are, in order of purchase: Makala baritone, Fluke Koa, Ohana Bell soprano, and Eleuke (black cut-through concert). I'm not sure the mix is perfect (or complete). I like the headphone plug on the eleuke, but would like a different look to it. I like the sound of my Ohana Bell the best, which is funny because I resisted the small sized ones due to their 'noise'. Kind of why I played alto sax in high school and not clarinet, too. So far I've resisted a #5, but the Risa and the Captain's backpacker both look interesting, so I won't say never.

Anyway, to make a short story long, there's no instruction to be had in Port Angeles, the guitar teachers that I've asked so far have laughed at me (politely?). I've played a variety of instruments so I'm familiar with reading music, it's a matter of setting out a path of study and following it through -- which means, so far, I've played with camp songs and other tunes I enjoy, but haven't found a way to improve my skills in a focused manner. Having fun, which is what matters most when it comes to hobbies!

Aloha Yarnpoet,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the Ukulele...Have fun and enjoy,,,,my you have many ukes already...google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome ukulele tutorial videos and Dr Uke for songs
chords and instructions....Happy Strummings...P.S. I found out there are quite a few crochetters and knitters too.. MM Stan....

Joined UU this week, found it in one of my recent google searches, or maybe wondering what UU was after seeing the fun NAMM 2010 videos on youtube by UU.

Have 4 ukes(or 3, since one is my daughters). Started this summer so I would have a hobby again, since my last one turned into my job (fiber arts). Which is not to say that I'm tired of wool, just that I needed a diversion from it.

So, they are, in order of purchase: Makala baritone, Fluke Koa, Ohana Bell soprano, and Eleuke (black cut-through concert). I'm not sure the mix is perfect (or complete). I like the headphone plug on the eleuke, but would like a different look to it. I like the sound of my Ohana Bell the best, which is funny because I resisted the small sized ones due to their 'noise'. Kind of why I played alto sax in high school and not clarinet, too. So far I've resisted a #5, but the Risa and the Captain's backpacker both look interesting, so I won't say never.

Anyway, to make a short story long, there's no instruction to be had in Port Angeles, the guitar teachers that I've asked so far have laughed at me (politely?). I've played a variety of instruments so I'm familiar with reading music, it's a matter of setting out a path of study and following it through -- which means, so far, I've played with camp songs and other tunes I enjoy, but haven't found a way to improve my skills in a focused manner. Having fun, which is what matters most when it comes to hobbies!

Welcome to UU! This place is amazing for learning!
Did you know you live in one of the most beautiful and amazing places I have ever visited??? I ran the half marathon there a few years ago, and camped another time for a few weeks in a yurt.. cold but fun, before the navy begrudgingly dragged my stuff across country! sigh..
Again welcome.. Also an avid knitter, not my job, but I wish! :)

Aloha and welcome to the UU!!

Thanks all for the warm welcome ... I hope eventually to find some locale ukulele players, maybe I'll see if I can round some up for a player's club or whatever one might call it. The closest to me currently is Bellingham -- a little way to go, plus a ferry ride, but I plan to try to get to one as soon as I have a first-Saturday-of-the-month free... May, I think, is open.

Welcome! This place is great! And I see you are a spinner too! Or at least a spindler. :)

Top Bottom