Guitar Center Thoughts

nicolec

Reaction score
Hello friends, anyone ever buy a used uke from Guitar Center online? Sometimes they seem to have good deals but very minimal pics and info. Anybody who can speak from experience out there?

I've bought new and used from Guitar Center. I find them easy to return to if needed. However one needs to be aware that with Vintage there is only a 3 day return window. They've been easy to deal with on the phone as needed and will text pictures of instruments. I've bought both an expensive used mandolin and used ukuleles from them. And have purchased new ukuleles from GC.

I have purchased quite a few used instruments from GC over the years and have never had an issue. As Keen noted above, they have a very liberal return policy on non-vintage instruments - so if you buy something and you decide that you don't like it, just bring it back . . . no problems. I recently got a great deal on a modern Martin 0X soprano (under $200) and I couldn't be happier. These days I check the GC website for used ukes every day . . . just waiting for that next great deal to come along.

I have purchased both guitars and ukes from them online, and have been satisfied with the results. Calling and asking for an "in-hand" description is a must, however.

I have purchased quite a few used instruments from GC over the years and have never had an issue. As Keen noted above, they have a very liberal return policy on non-vintage instruments - so if you buy something and you decide that you don't like it, just bring it back . . . no problems. I recently got a great deal on a modern Martin 0X soprano (under $200) and I couldn't be happier. These days I check the GC website for used ukes every day . . . just waiting for that next great deal to come along.
Me too. They have many times described vintage martins incorrectly and you can sometimes pick up a style 1 or 2 priced as a style 0, or a concert described as a soprano, etc.

some interesting stuff on there now- kala elite, romero, mele, kelali, rapozo, ko'olau, even a collings... along with the typical Ks, martin, and cheap stuff

Bought a Kala Elite there online, a huge back crack was not mentioned in their description. I've heard similar stories. Sure, they take them back, but descriptions should be honest.
Over the last two decades, I have purchased a lot of used gear from GC, mostly PA equipment. Here's what I've learned:

Contact the GC store that physically has the item (by phone, or e-mail) to ask specific questions about the condition and performance (physical, buzzes, rattles, etc.). They will respond with detailed answers if the question is presented correctly. They will also take extra photos where the question or answer is unclear.

Multiple transactions. Zero problems.

I've bought a lot of stuff from GC--as several others have said, they can tend to mess up the descriptions. I don't know about how useful calling is, though, as they aren't necessarily all that knowledgeable about 'ukuleles. you could happen on some real steals though, if you're lucky!

Top Bottom