GAS, UAS has a big brother

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I almost bought a guitar yesterday, sight unseen, never played that model, from Reverb.

It's a sickness, acquiring stuff just for the sake of having it. I own some nice guitars and I enjoy them all, I don't need another one. The guitar in question was a Eastman E2OM CD, it's an OM model cedar over sapelle. Being sold on Reverb in Canada I even had the seller send me pictures. It's Eastman's second lowest priced model, all solid woods, I figured it would make a great campfire guitar. But wait I have that covered with three others guitars I own.

But it has got great reviews, everyone loves them, yea but I have never played one. None around to play where I live. Yea but it's a cedar top, got one in a Taylor. Yea but it's an OM size, more comfortable then my dreadnaught, got one a Martin. It has a satin finish so won't show scratches, yea so is my Eastman 00 12 fret spruce and sapelle. Yea but Christmas is coming, maybe use that money to buy my loved ones gifts instead.

Anyone else have these trying inner conversations.

I have always tried to find a specific purpose for buying a new guitar. I only got up to 7 acoustic guitars. Eventually, I saw the need to downsize and when I did, it was a good feeling. I'm down to 4 and don't shop for any others. I think we go through phases with these instruments, I certainly have. There's no right or wrong....just have fun.

Anyone else have these trying inner conversations.
Yes. I know what you mean. It’s hard to turn my brain off, sometimes. I’m fighting the fight to be content… making some progress! But everyone has their own “balance” point.

I like your idea of focusing more on getting gifts for others. I would like to spend as much thought and money on others as I do for myself.

The money often is equal, but the thoughts revolve around myself more than I would like.

Did you know that Rick Nielsen, lead guitarist for Cheap Trick, once had over 2,000 axes in his collection? :oops: Now down to around 400, according to him. The battle between the love of guitar (or ukulele, etc, as the case may be), and the love of guitars, is real.

Last edited:
Yes I do sometimes, especially when I visit pawn shops, which I seem to do with regularity. There they are, cheap and available. My saving grace is that I get stressed if I have too many options to work through, so about three guitars is about all I can mentally handle. Lucky me I guess. But I still keep looking and having to remind myself that I do not need another guitar in my life.

I need one more. I want a guitar that is full scale that plays well in a recliner. After that, I will go 1-in-1-out. I also Have a 1970's Aria classical with high-ish action that I'll give to the guy who fixes up acoustic guitars and gives them to Vets.

Here is what I seek: 1699390417112.png or maybe 1699390440873.png

Not working any more, I amuse myself with creating music with friends and buying guitars. Enough is enough, now I have joined the UAS patrol. I'll probably sell a few guitars to create a uke fund.

I have given away guitars twice and hope to do that with ukes if needed. One guitar was a Yamaha Dread to a guy who was going to setup a semi-homeless person with it, and the other was a tip from a lady friend to help a single mom for her son for Christmas. It was a seafood green Squier Strat with a little amp and a few pedals.

Attachments

• 20191217_163747.jpg
    20191217_163747.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 5
I need one more. I want a guitar that is full scale that plays well in a recliner. After that, I will go 1-in-1-out. I also Have a 1970's Aria classical with high-ish action that I'll give to the guy who fixes up acoustic guitars and gives them to Vets.

Here is what I seek: View attachment 160776 or maybe View attachment 160777
I've got a headless Ibanez that is a great couch guitar. Got it a couple hundred bucks off because it was B-stock and can't for the life of me find the blemish. It's great with drop tuning; got it in drop C right now and still has good string tension.

I had to set a rule with myself of no more buying guitars/ukes unhandled. It's really helped curb the U/GAS.

I expected to find a thread about flatulence and collecting ukuleles - I had no idea what the big brother to those would be - maybe the Bean Burrito or something.

Last edited:
You have gas? Eat less beans :D

Sorry I couldn't resist. I am Voran after all

Had GAS and I was able to douse that flame. Then got UAS and the wife doused that flame. Told her I would get her another uke for her birthday, but she was wise to my intentions :unsure:😇 (since she had already given up learning to play). I just window shop now.

I need more guitars! At the moment my bass is drop D, in guitars I’ve got 2 tuned standard, one to open E, my tele tuned to open G, and I just got a 12 string but find I need to tune oddly to learn The Rain Song… and there are yet more tunings to explore! Retuning every session is a drag.

It's horrible. I get it bad and if I'm not actively battling it, it's so easy to succumb. I find the best way to limit the pressure is to play what I have and already enjoy, and not peruse what's available out there. Much easier said than done though.
I definitely make the effort to just stay off the net sometimes because otherwise I will see a gaudy ukulele and want the gaudy ukulele lol

I need more guitars! At the moment my bass is drop D, in guitars I’ve got 2 tuned standard, one to open E, my tele tuned to open G, and I just got a 12 string but find I need to tune oddly to learn The Rain Song… and there are yet more tunings to explore! Retuning every session is a drag.
Love that song. The only time I ever tune for it is right before a string change, as it seems to "extend" the life of the strings to me soundwise.

Here is an awesome rendition from Mike Love:
The Rain Song on ukulele

It's all GAS, imho. Acquiring gear is definitely addictive. I just bought myself a Waldorf Streichfett for my synth. So far, I've been able to hold off on buying more bass & guitars...I currently only have one of each, both an Ibanez Mikro. (one being a Paul Gilbert PGM11).

I'm pretty sure I'm done buying ukes (currently have a RISA, Fanner & a Sparrow tenor + a De Houtwinkel piezo baritone)...I might have to offload one of my electric tenors in the future, though I'm not sure which one I'll give up.

That said, I've been looking at a Baum Wingman lately...Or maybe a MM St. Vincent...At the very least, a Jackson Rhoads short scale V would be super fun.

Top Bottom