G-string problem Aquila tenor dgbe set

Zakulele

Reaction score
Several months ago I bought this set of tequila strings on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WFTNBU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This one has the non-wound G string that apparently has copper infusion in it. However not even after a couple months of them being installed the g-string snapped while it wasn't even being played. I come to read the reviews and this has happened to many other people as well. I'm not really looking to buy another set of strings for one string. Does anyone have an idea of what I could use to substitute the now broken G string? I was thinking of a leader line for fishing but I'm not sure what tension or diameter I would need. Appreciate any help.

The set you posted from Amazon has a wound "G" string. Could you possibly have a set of Aquila Reds? They have a habit of unprovoked self-destruction.

My advice would be to buy a complete new set of strings. Some people do use Fluorocarbon fishing leader for strings, but you usually have to buy a full spool of string that can cost $$$, much more than just buying a precut string set.

Basically you just need any "low G" string designed for tenor.
Aquila sell the low-G string separately.
As do other reputable companies like Fremont and Worth.

Broadly you have 3 different categories:
Unwound low-G (such as Aquila red or Fremont or Worth fluorocarbons)
wound (roundwound) low-G
Flatwound low G

Also just about any Classical Guitar D string will work as a Low-G string on ukulele.

I've read recently that you can use a standard guitar D string to sub for the low G. I bought a tenor ukulele at a local music store and asked for a low G and that's what they installed. I had to rework the wind at the bridge to keep from cutting up my wrist, but otherwise it's working well.

The set you posted from Amazon has a wound "G" string. Could you possibly have a set of Aquila Reds? They have a habit of unprovoked self-destruction.

My advice would be to buy a complete new set of strings. Some people do use Fluorocarbon fishing leader for strings, but you usually have to buy a full spool of string that can cost $$$, much more than just buying a precut string set.
Hi Larry, my apologies I did mean to post a link to the one with the red string. I did see the cost of fluorocarbon fishing leader and was wondering if there would be a cheaper alternative so perhaps buying a another set is the best option. I appreciate your reply

Have you tried the seller or Aquila?

Have you tried the seller or Aquila?
Funny you ask because I I just now remembered I wrote to them through their website several weeks ago and haven't heard a single reply from them. Perhaps I'll follow up with them or maybe it went to my junk or spam folder

Basically you just need any "low G" string designed for tenor.
Aquila sell the low-G string separately.
As do other reputable companies like Fremont and Worth.

Broadly you have 3 different categories:
Unwound low-G (such as Aquila red or Fremont or Worth fluorocarbons)
wound (roundwound) low-G
Flatwound low G

Also just about any Classical Guitar D string will work as a Low-G string on ukulele.
I've never heard of using a classical guitar D string but I'll definitely check that out

Funny you ask because I I just now remembered I wrote to them through their website several weeks ago and haven't heard a single reply from them. Perhaps I'll follow up with them or maybe it went to my junk or spam folder
I have had good conversation with Aquila and have got substitute strings, but it's a small operation. Maybe they are skiing. ;-)

I've read recently that you can use a standard guitar D string to sub for the low G. I bought a tenor ukulele at a local music store and asked for a low G and that's what they installed. I had to rework the wind at the bridge to keep from cutting up my wrist, but otherwise it's working well.
I just installed a Hannabach classical guitar wound D as a low G on a tenor. Sounds amazing.

I really like Seaguar leader. I use the pink which is suppose to be good in the fishing world for avoiding abrasions on rocks. I thought it might take play wear better. They are a clear pink and it's very subtle. I really like these for tenor C/E/A, baritone G/B/E. I found the lows to be a bit boomy on both sizes so I use wound for those.

I recently bought a Pepe Romero Low G single wound string from Strings By mail. Haven't used it yet, but you could try them. Their service is excellent.

Top Bottom