First uke advice - Ukadelic or Naneki?

nitzan

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a beginners ukulele for my 7 years old child - not sure if she is gonna be serious about it , so wouldn't want to put too much money on it, for now, yet also wouldn't want it to be just a toy (maybe I would learn play it as well) . Found these 2 models - kala ukadelic (the wooden one , not plastic) and Naneki NA10 (Smiger) - see the links below.
Does anyone have an experience with any of them? Which would you recommend?
My dilemma is that the Naneki has carbon strings, low action and chrome tuners while the ukadelic has Aquila Nylgut and is a much more known brand. I will order online so I can't see and try it physically but both stores are reliable and known.
Thanks a lot, appreciate your helphttps://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...alxkk21ql9V6XM7W49lACBLRQ5yg0qmjLBi3frKA4rp1M
https://kalabrand.com/.../solid-color.../products/uk-blueink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6uYQk9hg-8

I can‘t say that I would recommend either of them but stick with the Kala / Makala brand. For a child a Makala Dolpin is fine; it’s a long established and loved product, and some adults also use then as ‘beaters‘ (they’re fairly tough so good for anywhere where damage might occur). Over the years I have had several second hand Dolphins which I have fettled up and given to a group of adults who strum and sing at at local hospital - ideal for that kind of use and in schools too.

Nylgut strings (on Kala or Makala) might be better for little fingers to press down, but whatever you buy really should be set-up which is either something you learn to do yourself or pay others to do - I’d give it a few months before investing the extra money / time, see how the child gets on.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/makala-dolphins/products/mk-sd-pkburst

Last edited:
First - way to go for wanting to encourage your daughter! Way cool.

My suggestion is to think about what might mean the most to her. I don't really think the brand of uke makes much of a difference - as long as it is playable for her hands.

Perhaps think through
  • what does support for her look like?
  • if I pick up the uke, will she feel like she has to compete with me?
  • how will I feel if she acts like many 7 year olds and gets bored with it after a week?
  • how can you make it fun for her?

You get the idea....

I don’t know where you are located, but I would also suggest a Flight Travel (soprano or long neck soprano) or Enya Nova (concert) over the other choices.

I have reviewed the others…the Ukeadelics are fine (basically Dolphins) but the Nanecki are just painted beginner ukuleles that won’t hold up to abuse over time and there are better options for just a little more money.

First - way to go for wanting to encourage your daughter! Way cool.

My suggestion is to think about what might mean the most to her. I don't really think the brand of uke makes much of a difference - as long as it is playable for her hands.

Perhaps think through
  • what does support for her look like?
  • if I pick up the uke, will she feel like she has to compete with me?
  • how will I feel if she acts like many 7 year olds and gets bored with it after a week?
  • how can you make it fun for her?

You get the idea....

I think this ^^ to be pretty much right. In practical terms I’ve suggested a Dolphin as a way to go; it’s a long established, well regarded and well trodden path so why not follow it? There are other paths too, some are OK and some are not, let the buyer beware, etc.

Children get bored quickly and mostly don’t persevere with stuff. Getting the instrument is one thing but supplying music and learning to play support is another (that you need to prepare for). How your child feels about the instrument effects whether they will actually pick it up or not, and if picked up then how often. Do they like its looks, does the sight of it engage them, and do they like what (music) they’re going to play?

I spent endless sums on music lessons for my children. Did they practise? Barely if at all on the instruments but on computer games they spent hours, one has to find ways to engage your child in music. Playing with an adult (as a shared activity focussed on fun) can work and so can organised sessions playing with other children. Perhaps this line of thought is drifting off away from the original post and deserves a thread of its own, but it overlaps with the purpose of buying a Uke.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the answers and sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, the other ukuleles that were suggested here are not available for me so I stick with these 2. I see that most of you recommend the ukadelic and I am wondering why it is so clear cut. I myself have the following doubts:
1. Note that this ukadelic is not the same as kala dolphin - it is not Mahogany as the dolphin but poplar. I guess that it is a different model and maybe there are more differences.
2. As for durability issues - I am not so concerned with that - if it wears out and doesn't last too long that means that I used it and played it and I am ready to move forward to a better ukulele. I see it just as an introduction piece.
3. Is the action of this ukadelic low enough for a child? The Naneki has a very low action.
4. Doesn't the ukadelic have tuning issues? in the Naneki advertisement it is kept tuned for a long time. I am old enough not to believe every advertisement that I see but I thought it was related to the fact that the Naneki has chrome tuners (not plastic as the ukadelic) and also the store selling it is a reputable one which deals only with stringed instruments.
Would love to hear your opinion on these issues/ doubts. Thanks again for your help

I never tried any of the ukes in question, but:

3:
I have read that most manufacturers aim for 3.2 mm action at 12th fret. Both are cheap ukes, and quality control may not be so that any of them are at exactly the intended height. Since you know the concept of action, which I didnt when I first for into ukes, you can probably fix too high action with some sand paper on either one.

4:
It is not the tuning mechanisms themselves which are plastic, only the bushings and buttons. My first ukulele, a Makala MK-C, had these plastic parts and held tune just fine. The plastic bushings do make an ukulele look cheap though 😆.

Anyway, I have no clever input on which is better.

For cheaper ukuleles, the most consistent setup out-of-the-box I have seen is the Kiwaya student-series (eg model KSU-1). These cost under US$100 in Japan, but prices in other countries vary a lot. Flight and Enya have generally pretty good factory setups. Kala is less predictable. I've never heard of Naneki and know nothing about them.

I am dubious about ukulele brands that claim to hold their tuning for unusually long periods of time. Strings stretch and weather happens. The best I hope for is tuning machines that operate smoothly and don't slip.

Thank you all for the answers and sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, the other ukuleles that were suggested here are not available for me so I stick with these 2. I see that most of you recommend the ukadelic and I am wondering why it is so clear cut. I myself have the following doubts:
1. Note that this ukadelic is not the same as kala dolphin - it is not Mahogany as the dolphin but poplar. I guess that it is a different model and maybe there are more differences.
2. As for durability issues - I am not so concerned with that - if it wears out and doesn't last too long that means that I used it and played it and I am ready to move forward to a better ukulele. I see it just as an introduction piece.
3. Is the action of this ukadelic low enough for a child? The Naneki has a very low action.
4. Doesn't the ukadelic have tuning issues? in the Naneki advertisement it is kept tuned for a long time. I am old enough not to believe every advertisement that I see but I thought it was related to the fact that the Naneki has chrome tuners (not plastic as the ukadelic) and also the store selling it is a reputable one which deals only with stringed instruments.
Would love to hear your opinion on these issues/ doubts. Thanks again for your help

The Naneki advert isn‘t something to be guided by and might mislead …

My experience with Kala and Makala products suggests to me that their products are amongst the better / best ones at the low end of the market - they’re a known brand in which some confidence can be placed. The current Ukadelic should be fine.

If you share your location (country) then that might help people in assisting you.

The Naneki advert isn‘t something to be guided by and might mislead …

My experience with Kala and Makala products suggests to me that their products are amongst the better / best ones at the low end of the market - they’re a known brand in which some confidence can be placed. The current Ukadelic should be fine.

If you share your location (country) then that might help people in assisting you.
Ditto ! - Kala product over the other. I'd get your child a Kala Dolphin if available. Otherwise I'd pick the Kala Ukadelic model over your other choice. Never heard of Naneki - Might be ok, might be junk.

Kala is a known commodity - safer choice. I'd get a Dolphin if you can. It's good advice.

I never tried any of the ukes in question, but:

3:
I have read that most manufacturers aim for 3.2 mm action at 12th fret. Both are cheap ukes, and quality control may not be so that any of them are at exactly the intended height. Since you know the concept of action, which I didnt when I first for into ukes, you can probably fix too high action with some sand paper on either one.

4:
It is not the tuning mechanisms themselves which are plastic, only the bushings and buttons. My first ukulele, a Makala MK-C, had these plastic parts and held tune just fine. The plastic bushings do make an ukulele look cheap though 😆.

Anyway, I have no clever input on which is better.
Thanks for the answer - just could you please clarify what this means - "
you can probably fix too high action with some sand paper on either one.
How do you do it? Is it so strait forward for someone with no experience with string instruments whatsoever?

Setup information and explanation:

If you’re uncomfortable doing this, then I would recommend getting the Kiwaya Student Series (KSU models). They cost a little more, but their quality control is excellent. You would easily pay as much for a luthier or technician to setup a Ukeadelic after you’ve bought it than you would for the Kiwaya straight out of the box. Just a thought for someone who’s not good with tools.

I just bought an Enya Nova mini uke for travel. This is all plastic but seems to be well made and of higher quality than wood ukes in the <50 $ range. While I can play it my thoughts are that this would be really well suited for a child due to its narrow neck. There are no adjustments needed on this.

Setup information and explanation:

If you’re uncomfortable doing this, then I would recommend getting the Kiwaya Student Series (KSU models). They cost a little more, but their quality control is excellent. You would easily pay as much for a luthier or technician to setup a Ukeadelic after you’ve bought it than you would for the Kiwaya straight out of the box. Just a thought for someone who’s not good with tools.

I've seen a Kiwaya KSU with dangerously sharp frets, and reviews have said they are a little rough and need a good set up. Matt Stead/Ukulele teacher recently posted some good YT videos on setup and string height.

Thanks for the answer - just could you please clarify what this means - "

How do you do it? Is it so strait forward for someone with no experience with string instruments whatsoever?
I was going to post a link to the video that hendulele linked to in post №13 when I had the time, but now it is allready there 🙂.

And about the plastic parts: The bushings are just rings that fill the gap between the tuner posts and the holes in the head stock, which are a bit oversize. The tuner posts are metal, the gears on the back are metal, and the posts going to the tuning buttons are metal. The bushings can be made from plastic, and the buttons you turn can be. But the main parts are metal.

I've seen a Kiwaya KSU with dangerously sharp frets, and reviews have said they are a little rough and need a good set up. Matt Stead/Ukulele teacher recently posted some good YT videos on setup and string height.

Thanks for this. I’m surprised Kiwaya is allowing such lapses.

I think part of it is the difference between the Japan and entry level China factories/models... IIRC Baz called them "scruffy".

Top Bottom