First Instrument?

mwilson

Reaction score
Skipping around the internet this evening and discovered (I'm always the last to know anything cool) that Jimmy Hendricks' first instrument was a ukulele.
from wiki:
Capture.JPG

He played that ukulele until his father relented and bought him a guitar the following year. My first instrument was a Sears Silvertone guitar with action higher than a dobro (and missing the low E string). How many folks here started on ukulele like Jimmy? If not, what was your first instrument?

My first instrument was a Harmony Stella guitar in 1973. I have been playing many different fretted instruments ever since (hence my user name).

Recorder. 3rd or 4th grade.

Many guitar players started on ukulele. A lot of guitar players still play ukulele, but not many will admit it! 😄

My first instrument was an acoustic guitar that I got with S&H Green stamps in the very early 60's. In retrospect, it was a horrible playing and sounding guitar but I loved it and learned a lot on it.

A mediocre Ibanez electric guitar. I knew nothing about instruments other than I wanted a guitar. Found it difficult so I tried bass and I took to that much better. Eventually I learned guitar and played it religiously for almost 20 years before the ukulele came into my life and took over. I hardly ever play guitar now, but it’s still my first love.

Skipping around the internet this evening and discovered (I'm always the last to know anything cool) that Jimmy Hendricks' first instrument was a ukulele.
from wiki:
View attachment 136635

He played that ukulele until his father relented and bought him a guitar the following year. My first instrument was a Sears Silvertone guitar with action higher than a dobro (and missing the low E string). How many folks here started on ukulele like Jimmy? If not, what was your first instrument?
My first instrument was the piano, way back in 1957. I was only four years old at the time, and all my parents could afford was one of those little toy-like pianos for me to practice on. After 7 or 8 months, I had to stop taking lessons because my father took ill and was no longer able to drive me to the piano teacher’s house. It was seven years later, when my parents bought me a real piano, that I began taking lessons again. I'm quite sure it was my early exposure to reading musical notation and playing the piano that lead me to all the other instruments I’ve owned in my lifetime. Our family was poor (money-wise) when I was a child growing up in Nova Scotia. But fortunately, frequent access to music via friends and relatives was both free and easy — for which I am truly grateful. Over the years, I have come to believe that playing a musical instrument and having a good sense of humour are the two essential tools for surviving in today’s world. :)

My first instrument was the trumpet. I played for about 5-6 years. Kind of want to get back into it but I don't think my cat would appreciate it. Brass isn't exactly something you can play quietly.

My first instrument was the trumpet. I played for about 5-6 years. Kind of want to get back into it but I don't think my cat would appreciate it. Brass isn't exactly something you can play quietly.
technically my first instrument was piano (it didn't take), but I started trumpet in 4th grade and was shortly switched to baritone horn because I lacked the lip to play high. I played that through college (although when I got serious about it I had a very good high range). But as you noted, brass is not subtle... I resemble the old joke about the definition that "a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't"

My first instrument was a cheap electric guitar in 1965. Played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years when in mid 2013 I bought a ukulele, attended a summer play-along series and was hooked, never touched my guitars again (gave my four to my nephew). I joined a seniors ukulele group and a year later took up the bass uke. Now my main instrument is bass uke/mini bass guitar, then tenor ukulele and harmonica.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

My first instrument was a recorder in 4th grade in elementary school, but that same year, my parents started me on the piano. The recorder lasted just a few months while piano remained for many years into college.

Many guitar players started on ukulele. A lot of guitar players still play ukulele, but not many will admit it! 😄

Many ukulele players started on guitar.
As of this post in this thread, out of the 10 posters; 5 started out on the guitar before picking up the uke.

My Mum used to play the Piano at home, mostly hammering out Hymn tunes. I was offered the chance to have Piano lessons but I knew that my parents would struggle to pay for them so I declined the opportunity. At school some music tuition was still free so I had a go at the school band, the foundation of what I learnt then helped me with Uke many decades later.

It’s so important to play something, nearly anything can provide a good enough start towards better things. I used to think that if the music was poor then it would be best for the player to give up, now I think that no matter how poor the output the important thing is that someone’s engaged in the activity and journey of music making - one can encourage but might not have to listen.

IIRC some of the players in The Beatles started off on Uke and whilst Guitar players on stage the Uke stayed with them for off-stage use.

IIRC Brass can be played quietly when a mute is used. Choirguy could probably advise.

Last edited:
Harmonica……..is that considered an instrument😝

Outside of the recorder we were all sort of forced to play, the first instrument I chose to play was clarinet. Did that about a year in 4th grade. Then I played bass clarinet in grade 5/6. Got a guitar in 7th grade, bass guitar in 9th, and picked up ukulele in college. Uke did not become the only instrument I play until a couple years ago. The instrument I have performed live with more than any other is bass guitar.

The instrument I have performed live with more than any other is bass guitar.
Same here. Took up bass in high school and gigged around state with several bands until career and family

I started with Chinese Wind instruments. I learned three instruments, Hulusi (Cucurbit flute), Xun (no English name, a kind of ancient instrument), and Bamboo flute. All are so noisy and I had to go to the park to practice and then I don't want to afford so much time, I started with Ukulele. I enjoy so much that I can play my Ukulele at home, and, at any time.

I can honestly say that the ukulele is my first "true" musical instrument. I started playing 4 years ago, and it has opened up a whole new world to me.
I had a guitar when I was about 13 years old. My best friend was going to teach me how to play. Unfortunately, her family moved away shortly after I got the guitar, and I never learned to play it. I played in the percussion section in high school band for a few years. That gave me a good sense of rhythm, but not really music. No piano or any other musical instruments in my family.

IIRC Brass can be played quietly when a mute is used. Choirguy could probably advise.
Mutes are quiet-er, but still not really quiet. They also change the sound. I'll probably get back into it in a couple years when I move and am living out in the middle of nowhere again, and can just play outside.

Top Bottom