Fender "Uke Bass"...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I am curious about the strings. They are advertised as thinner than usual, .045-.110, whereas the Kala flats are .060-.130. Ok, Kala Silver rounds are .050 to .110, so I guess not all that different. I'd like to see a flats options though

Yes, Fender's Fullerton line are acoustic ukes designed like their electric guitars; Telecaster, Stratocaster, with the Precision Bass as the latest release. With the popularity of ukuleles, I think it's a good move.

I am curious about the strings. They are advertised as thinner than usual, .045-.110, whereas the Kala flats are .060-.130. Ok, Kala Silver rounds are .050 to .110, so I guess not all that different. I'd like to see a flats options though
Probably any Ubass strings would work...Galli flats, should be no problem, even Pahoehoes with some tweaking...

I contacted Fender about getting one with Pahoehoes, they said no. 😂 When I bought my Kala Journeyman I contacted Kala about installing Thunderbrowns and they said they would put them on before shipping, think it was only another $25 plus strings. But, I had already ordered the strings.

Still tempted to order one...I still have the Thunderbrowns. 😁😂

I contacted Fender about getting one with Pahoehoes, they said no. 😂 When I bought my Kala Journeyman I contacted Kala about installing Thunderbrowns and they said they would put them on before shipping, think it was only another $25 plus strings. But, I had already ordered the strings.

Still tempted to order one...I still have the Thunderbrowns. 😁😂
Aw, c'mon. Go for it! ;)

I'm wondering what the selling price will be from places like Sweetwater...🤔

Saw this in the Ubass Freaks facebook page. Fender is finally jumping into the Uke bass market...looks interesting, wish they would put out a version with Pahoehoes.
https://www.fender.com/en-US/ukuleles/concert/fullerton-precision-bass-uke/0970583500.html?rdl=true
Thanks for posting that. I just got on Sweetwater's pre-order list and it's looking like September they become available.

Finally Fender is waking up to this market. I'm still waiting on a Strat or Tele uke to rival/kill the Flight and Risa offerings.

Thanks for posting that. I just got on Sweetwater's pre-order list and it's looking like September they become available. Finally Fender is waking up to this market. I'm still waiting on a Strat or Tele uke to rival/kill the Flight and Risa offerings.
You realize that these are acoustic ukes with nylon strings, not solid bodies?

You realize that these are acoustic ukes with nylon strings, not solid bodies?
Thanks for pointing that out Mike, but I think that is what I prefer. I say "think" because the only bass uke I have played is the Hadean. From what I have listened to online, I have not been impressed with any ubass or mini bass with steel strings. To me, thundergut or the rubbery strings come much closer to sounding like an upright bass than the steel strings do in sounding like an electric bass guitar. Obviously you have a ton more experience with uke basses -- what is the best sounding bass uke with steel strings that you have found?

-- what is the best sounding bass uke with steel strings that you have found?
I gave up on the poly strings after using them for about seven years because I got tired of how long they took to settle in, how much they stretched, which required trimming so they don't double wrap on the spool, and the stickiness, especially in humid conditions. I never understood those who suggest constantly putting something on the fingers or strings to combat that.

Shortly after the Kala/Galli flatwound nylon core came, I tried them and was very pleased that they had no stickiness, settled in much faster and very easy to trim. I also find that they have a very good bass sound, certainly much better than the round wound versions that sound much more like an electric bass. They're the only bass strings I use now. I actually never liked the zing noise round wound makes, even when I played guitar, I used flatwound.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out Mike, but I think that is what I prefer. I say "think" because the only bass uke I have played is the Hadean. From what I have listened to online, I have not been impressed with any ubass or mini bass with steel strings. To me, thundergut or the rubbery strings come much closer to sounding like an upright bass than the steel strings do in sounding like an electric bass guitar. Obviously you have a ton more experience with uke basses -- what is the best sounding bass uke with steel strings that you have found?
I agree with you completely. Pahoehoe strings sound much more like a standup, a sound I love, than any steel strings. Also, their feel is just so nice on the fingers and they’re easy to bend. I plug my ubass into garage band and adjust the settings and people think it’s an upright. Not bad.

I don’t find the strings sticky at all. Initially it takes some tuning and retuning to get them to settle in but if you initially stretch them and tie them in a good manner they’ll stay in tune or close to tune.

I started with a Hadean and loved it. I think it sounded as good as my Kala or Oscar Schmidt. I now have an older Kala solid body that is nice but I seldom use it.

Many of the contributors on this ubass forum are collectors and tech freaks. I am not. My major concern is learning to play better.

Top Bottom