New Uke Day (NUD) Fender Nohea Koa Tenor

Captain Simian

Reaction score
This was very unexpected.

About a month ago my elderly neighbor fell and she couldn’t get up on her own and her husband wasn’t really able to help her so they called me to ask if I could help her. So I went over and helped her up. Luckily she fell down slowly so she wasn’t hurt. Two days later it happened again. Then again the next except this time she cracked her head a little. Her husband said that she needed to go to the ER because obviously there was something wrong with her. So at 10pm I took them to the ER. Turns out she had an inner ear infection which was causing her to lose her balance. I finally got them back home around 1am. The next day at work was rough seeing as I only got around 5 hours of sleep. They wanted to pay me for helping them out but I refused. “You’re my neighbors, I’m always happy to help you guys out,” was my response.

My neighbors always go to their daughter’s for Thanksgiving and this year was no exception. They got back late this morning and just a little while ago they came over and said they had a gift for me. They handed me a big shopping bag and wrapped in some old towels was this Fender uke. It was pretty dusty and out of tune but in great shape otherwise. This belonged to one of their grandkids who gave up on learning how to play years ago so it was just sitting in their daughter’s garage for the past 7 years. Needless to say I was blown away by this. I’m pretty surprised that it actually sounds pretty good. I’m not a fan of Fender ukes in general, I feel they’re a little overbuilt and have no projection, but this one is pretty good. The top is fairly thin for a laminate and is decently loud. Sustain is just so-so but it doesn’t bother me since I do play a bit percussively. I’m not sure what the strings are but they’re definitely not nylon; if I had to guess I’d say they’re Aquila’s of some kind. Not sure what the fretboard is as well, maybe walnut. Definitely one of the nicest things that’s happened to me in awhile. Here she is after giving her a good polish.
IMG_5155.jpeg

What a thoughtful gift! And what a good neighbor you are :)

Top Bottom