Exercises to practice finger picking?

Rob MacKillop has YouTube video that I found helpful for developing finger independency:

Oh yes. I'd been neglecting those. I've just started them up again this week. I shall endeavour to be more diligent with them because I can sense they'll really make a difference. My ring (third) finger is so stiff and snuggled up against my middle (second) finger that I really struggle to reach it back independently from the second, especially when the fourth (pinkie) is stretched out. Ugh.

...My ring (third) finger is so stiff ...
I just tried reaching each finger to strings 3, 4, and 1 as "light" hammer-ons, making each string ring. My ring finger (also) was the worst. Go slow and gentle, as this may will cause forearm pain if you try to force it.

Reaching back to #1 is the trickiest. If it hurts, stop.

Last edited:
I just tried reaching each finger to strings 3, 4, and 1 as "light" hammer-ons, making each string ring. My ring finger (also) was the worst. Go slow and gentle, as this may will cause forearm pain if you try to force it.

Reaching back to #1 is the trickiest. If it hurts, stop.
I'm fortunate, it's not painful, but it's certainly stiff, awkward and non compliant for certain asks, lol. Yes, I shall keep working at it, because obviously it wants serious attention & effort.

The more I look at the previews for this book, the more I love it.

This is exactly the kind of thing I had to do when I first learned other instruments as a kid to build that note/finger/pitch mental connection that eventually makes an instrument feel like part of your body. I would love to feel that way on ukulele someday, if my adult brain can still learn like that. Finger-picking exercises are only 1/7th of the book, but the other 6/7ths are all stuff I want to learn too!

It has music on a staff with tabs underneath, and in the baritone version it's transposed an octave from concert pitch so you don't have 50% of the notes dangling below the bottom of the staff.

And it's not meant to be a time-consuming complete course, it's just "here's your daily bit of brain/finger torture before you go do other kinds of playing" to gradually build skills without sacrificing fun in the process.

Ordered it. Paper copy, because it's probably going to end up covered pencil (note to self: buy pencils). This book looks AMAZING...
I have this book and it is indeed covered in notes and drawings of chords. Well worth the price and effort. There's a great guy on youtube named Kenny that goes through each lesson if you need more help- they really help me and a total non-music experience player.

Top Bottom