DOUBLE NUD: Pono Pro Classic Baritones RBSH C Spruce Top

Congratulations! Wow I'd say there seems to be a feeding frenzy of baritone purchases lately!

LOL.

Yes. But a lot of us were waiting until the new shipment of Ponos comes in ... which is every 3 months. Wonderful instruments.

I am a baritone lover as well. First picked up a 2013 Kamaka and for a while I loved it. But then I bought a 1980s Kamaka and really really loved the 19" scale and the slightly smaller body.
I find the new Kamakas to be too big. It is a uke after all and not a guitar.
Soon after puchasing the 80s Kamaka I discovered Pono and bought a basic mango baritone. Took me a couple of weeks but I soon fell in love with the sweet mango sound. And I also love that it is similar in size to the old Kamakas. Not Too big or clunky.
HERE comes the question to the Pro Classic owners: How is the gloss on the neck? The reason I ask is I love the slick feel of the satin finish on the basic Pono Bari. I remember Pono being a bit too glossy a few years ago?
Thoughts?

HERE comes the question to the Pro Classic owners: How is the gloss on the neck? The reason I ask is I love the slick feel of the satin finish on the basic Pono Bari. I remember Pono being a bit too glossy a few years ago?

The gloss finish that Pono uses is perfectly mirror clear and glassy. Very nice to look at, and I like the smooth feel of it as well. It doesn't feel sticky to me when moving up and down the neck. Actually, I think it's just as fast as a satin finished neck. But since you stated that you love the feel of the satin finish, I suppose that you might consider the Pro Classic line "too glossy".

For years I've used adhesive-backed label stock (I have old CD label stock and unused sheets of mailing labels) to punch out position dots for my lutes (changing them out every time I retied frets). I have a single hole office punch, or I sometimes have used a three-hole punch, but just putting the label stock under one of the punches. Then I peel off the backing with the help of an Xacto knife and place them along the neck. These have never marred the finish of my lute necks.
Perhaps the free return address labels sent out by charities might have some unprinted white areas to use.

I'm looking at baritones, and these posts have gotten me considering two from Pono -- the spruce/mahogany and the spruce/rosewood.
The s/m also has a radius fingerboard, but the s/r is available with a cutaway. The rosewood and cutaway add a price bump to the cost, of course.
Since this thread has been (mostly) about the s/r model -- have you new owners been satisfied with the volume of these baris?

Since this thread has been (mostly) about the s/r model -- have you new owners been satisfied with the volume of these baris?

Yes, I'm very happy with mine. I'd recommend looking at the Cedar top version too, though. I had the chance to play one and would say that it was even louder and deeper. Very nice, warm tone. The Spruce top is definitely brighter.

It is fun to see this Pono Baritone thread re-surface. I am a Pono fan boy ... just love the Ukes and brand.

Like my friend Rainer, I am VERY happy with my Spruce top / Rosewood back with cutaway Baritone. It has a wonderful projection, sustain and yes, it is brighter ... but I have wound 3rd and 4th strings on it with nylon 1st and 2nd .... and it tones down the over brightness that might come with Spruce. But it is Engelmann Spruce which is similar to Cedar.

The gloss on the neck is no problem at all ... easy to move, not over done. Really great ... on all of my Pono's.

Top Bottom