Donner Concert Ukulele Black Carbon Fiber 23 Inch Travel Starter Bundle Kit with Free Online Lesson Gig Bag Strap Nylon String Tuner Picks Cloth DCF-1

badhabits

Reaction score
Full amazon title- "Donner Concert Ukulele Black Carbon Fiber 23 Inch Travel Starter Bundle Kit with Free Online Lesson Gig Bag Strap Nylon String Tuner Picks Cloth DCF-100 Professional Ukalalee"

I’m typically not into super cheap ukes, but this was an impulse amazon buy, a 25% off coupon popped up so I said what the heck (free returns, if needed). it's very similar to something branded as rosen, but with a slightly different headstock and tuners on this one (no cutout and closed back vs. open gear). clearly the enya nova was its inspiration. some thoughts below.
  • has some heft, 614 gm
  • advertised as carbon fiber but probably polycarbonate or abs
  • slightly more traditional look that the nova, a rounded vs. florentine cutaway, round vs. stylized sound hole
  • but a more decorative bridge (I'd prefer the simpler enya bridge, but nbd)
  • the matte finish feels similar to a black waterman
  • slightly arched back, has a slight belly, centered on the lower bout. also has a side sound port
  • silver hardware (yes!), including strap buttons (no...) installed fairly straight (looking at you, flight)
  • as suspected from the product images, it has the same clear window closed tuners as kmise (I can replace the brown buttons with white ones)
  • typical c-shaped neck, I'd say comparable to kala
  • plastic/polycarbonate/abs/whatever fretboard and frets, same as the smaller novas
  • no fret markers on the front (other than feather logo at 12), but it has side markers! these are not seen in the current product images. EDIT- side markers are at 5, 7, 9! (d'oh!) and 12 (2 dots here)
  • a compensated removable saddle (this will be handy!)
  • typical plastic sound (not horrible), strings seem rather thin, I'd want to change them before making any verdict the intonation
  • nut width 35 mm
  • string spacing at nut 27.5 mm
  • string spacing at bridge 38.5 mm
  • action at nut ~1 mm
  • action at 12th ~3 mm
  • includes a decent gig bag made for the thin body and the typical accessory pack that has stickers, presumably to be used for fret markers
  • price was $55 shipped; again, there was a 25% off coupon that led me to pull the trigger
Overall it's not bad, esp at the price paid. I'd call it the poor man's nova (at the discounted price) or waterman beater or an alternative for those that don't prefer the mini-les paul look or style of the nova or if you just hate gold bits. EDIT- If not for the side marker this could have been an unexpected keeper. pics below.

Attachments

• image000006.jpg
    image000006.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 79
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image000008.jpg
    image000008.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 54
  • image000011.jpg
    image000011.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image000012.jpg
    image000012.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image000010.jpg
    image000010.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Am I seeing it wrong or is there a side marker on the 9th fret?

That's too bad. It really makes you wonder how something like that happens. From what I can see from it's many offerings on Amazon, Donner is not a stranger to musical instruments. It would seem that whoever actually manufactured the uke didn't have a working knowledge of them. Perhaps they were in more of a rush to get a competing product on the market than they were in trying to get it right.

Wow, 50% off coupon right now! So $40, maybe $45 shipped w tax. I guess sales are down...

VERY like the Rosen (which I thought sounded lousy) but at least some other issues I had with that are resolved.

Not so sure about the marker at the 9th though... as a guitarist that wouldn't fox me, but - for sole uke players?

Here's the Rosen -

Full amazon title...
Sorry, I am in a non-accommodative mood.

Flat black makes all defects disappear. Ask anyone in "Theatre," which I am not.

"...If not for the side marker this could have been an unexpected keeper."

I needed that!

OK. I'm better now. So, how does it feel and sound? Do chords "gel?" That is, harmonize and ring out?

Last edited:
I just bought the black at 50% off and the mint green at 70% off. I am pleased with them. In fact, I just reordered to send to a couple of friends in different states, while they still have them (one friend is a player; the other is not - yet). Don't let the fret marker misplacement dissuade you - just use a colored marker to cover the one that bothers you - the uke is worth it! Low action and thin strings easy on fingers for beginners (not the thick junk that some others put on budget ukes). This is a full package and the bag is quite nice. I recommend.

Well you got me, Fiendish, at $25 for the green one I bought it. I needed a strap anyway, which in my imagination brought the price to $20—although in fact I’d never buy that strap—and then I figured I could swap out cases with the Enya Nova, which is not a very nice case, so after cannibalizing the parts I want, I’m out very little, and I have a uke to give to the next grandchild, great niece, neighbor kid, or friend who shows an interest. And for all I know, it might even sound decent.

At $25 I had to get a green one. I have an Enya that a play a lot, so it will be interesting to compare.

Where do you find these coupons?
It's a checkbox on the Amazon listing, under the price. It's a temporary promo code. I also check the listings for "Used like new" and have gotten a few perfect ukes with damaged boxes for sometimes half of regular price - got a couple of Flight TUS-35 that way! You have to contantly search for these on the general page that displays all of a category (such as search for"concert ukulele", and when they all display, look at the bottom of each and just scan and scroll and click on "new and used offers"; pay attention to the "Used-Like New"). You'll be surprised what treasures you can find to feed your UAS...

I'm happy with mine. I needed a decent cheap "carbon fiber" (plastic/ABS with carbon fiber additive) uke to drag around, so I could leave my Enya Nova U (white) safely at home. It's no longer on that low price promo, but it's still cheaper than it used to be. I keep monitoring these Donners, as I hope to buy a few more as gifts if the price crashes again. Yes, I like them (I have the black and the green).

I think the Enya is way better, but it is a Tenor which I prefer. I would have returned it if I payed $80 for it.

Top Bottom