Donating ukulele / musical instruments

badhabits

Reaction score
We focus a lot on buying, but I know people donate ukes/instruments to charities. I'm looking for somewhere to donate something, but there are a scant few threads on the topic (that I could find, at least)... perhaps this thread could serve as a listing of places where instruments can be donated (and used, not sold like goodwill).

I have thought about this a lot. If I had a uke that I wasn't using regularly, I would donate it to the local public library. Even if they don't have an instrument lending program, there's no reason they couldn't start with yours. Worst case scenario, someone keeps it and uses it.

I have donated a uke to my ukulele club. They have a beginners table where prospective members can try out the various sizes and get some introductory instruction and information.

Pre COVID, I gave some ukes to the local Boys and Girls Club and helped to teach a class for some kids that wanted to learn how to play. A few went on to take guitar classes as well.

Some of the schools were interested in offering ukulele classes to some of their students.

The Y offered ukulele classes and accepted ukuleles to offer as loaners.

I donated a ukulele and some instruction books to the USO at the local airport. And a couple of tuners as well.

We focus a lot on buying, but I know people donate ukes/instruments to charities. I'm looking for somewhere to donate something, but there are a scant few threads on the topic (that I could find, at least)... perhaps this thread could serve as a listing of places where instruments can be donated (and used, not sold like goodwill).

Instruments can be donated to either be used or be sold. Someone I know runs a group that plays to poorly folks and I’ve given them several inexpensive instruments - put a (made) good beater in the hands of a volunteer. I’ve also bought instruments on eBay that have been listed by charities - someone donated them. I think that some schools run Uke clubs / lessons so some school might welcome a gifted instrument.

You could donate it as a prize in an upcoming Seasons of the Ukulele song challenge.

Good stuff, keep 'em coming!

FYI, what I want to donate is a not a beater, rather a nice mid-range uke ($300-350, like new condition) and I'd prefer it not be sold for $, but given to the end-user (or end-user's organization)... maybe that's wishful thinking. Yes, I could just give it away to whoever but that's not preferred either.

FYI, what I want to donate is a not a beater, rather a nice mid-range uke ($300-350, like new condition) and I'd prefer it not be sold for $, but given to the end-user (or end-user's organization)... maybe that's wishful thinking. Yes, I could just give it away to whoever but that's not preferred either.
My ukulele teacher teaches classes in inner city schools in NYC and I have donated a couple to him - mid range as like a scholarship type prize for some of the kids who apply themselves. He seemed to love the idea

Last edited:
Public libraries will take them in some areas, especially if you also donate a case and tuner!

Edit to add; Should have read the replies first! See others also suggested it.

Also an option.......a reputable, local music store which gives lessons could give the instrument to a new student to get them started.

Our uke club contacted several schools and even the colleges in the area and asked if the school had a uke program, and if they did, did they have a deserving student that needed a decent ukulele. Every year, we gave a uke & tuner to a student a teacher selected. Sometimes more than one.

Top Bottom