Deal on Martin Polygut strings

Polyglut ?
I have a set of Aquila carbon black string on my reso uke, which are Aquila's version of flurocarbon, which are no longer make. I really like those strings so I was disappointed they were no longer available. From what I've gathered, these Martin polygut strings are basically the same formula since these strings were developed between Aquila and Martin. I'm going to put them on my Martin concert, she's probably due for a string change anyways.

You can search UU for posts by Mimmo (of Aquila) for his comments on these. I remember him commenting about the history or formula

Mimmo said something about putting thin iron powder in the polygut formula to increase the density. Anyway, I just bought a set of concert for cheap and a set of sopranos for the regular higher price. Thanks for the heads up, Captain Simian!

I have a set of Aquila carbon black string on my reso uke, which are Aquila's version of flurocarbon, which are no longer make. I really like those strings so I was disappointed they were no longer available. From what I've gathered, these Martin polygut strings are basically the same formula since these strings were developed between Aquila and Martin. I'm going to put them on my Martin concert, she's probably due for a string change anyways.
Report back, please, @Captain Simian. I’m very curious about what you think, once the strings settle in. Thanks!

I have them on my Tenor Uke. I rather like them. They seem to be just a little less tension than other strings. I've had them on for a liitle over a month.

They are black in colour and have a different feel than flurocarbons

Last edited:
I really like these strings. I think they are comparable to the more mellow tone you get from worth browns or fremont blacks. They have a unique texture to them too. A little bit gritty feeling at first, not smooth like flurocarbon.

I threw a set of Soprano M605s on my soprano uke and it sounds fantastic. At first I was worried because they are so thin. But my fingers came around and now they feel fine and the tone is very nice. I just ordered one more set of Concert size, which I will save for future use. I am wondering if they will be offered in Low G.

Thank you guys,
Low G.... at the NAMM show 2024 I will have a meeting with Martin Guitars with the intention to suggest them to sell also the low G version. Of course the G string will be of the same color of others. yes, Polygut is exactly the same formula of the dismissed Carbonblacks, only the color is different. Mimmo of Aquilastrings- Italy

Thanks Mimmo. Martin has been selling uke strings for about 100 years going from gut to nylon to fluorocarbon and now to polygut. But in all these years I don't think they ever included a linear set. Well it's about time they do!

Hello Mimmo!!! I wish there were a good source for CarbonBlack strings. I also wonder why they were dismissed. If they're the same as the Martin Polygut, other than the color, and assuming they're black, I would buy them from now on.

Last edited:
Hello Mimmo!!! I wish there were a good source for CarbonBlack strings. I also wonder why they were dismissed. If they're the same as the Martin Polygut, other than the color, and assuming they're black, I would buy them from now on.
we signed a contract with martin so the price to pay was to leave them free, without any similar competitive string like carbonblack.

Is Polygut a variation of nylon Nylgut?

I liked sound of the Nylgut + wound strings that came with my baritone, but wrecked the silver windings at the frets within a couple hours.

Switched to slightly less sweet sounding all fluorocarbon for durability.

Cheers.

Last edited:
A ton of info from mimmo in this post:

Top Bottom