Daylight Savings Time vs Standard Time

Do you like the seasonal time changes?

• Yes, it's a good idea

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No, stop messing with my sleep!

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I am a robot and human sleep patterns don't affect me.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
I’d propose going back to the original way of determining what the time is.
Noon is always when the sun is at the highest point during the day. Simple and easy to use and understand.
Air travelers and multi sited companies can work out the details as they prefer.

I have a suggestion: Whatever the advantage of DST is, let's maximize it. Electricity conservation, keeping folks active later in the day, whatever.. we should "fall back" around 11:30 p.m. on December 31, and "leap forward" at 3a.m. on NYD. The bars could stay open an extra hour on New Year's Eve and the rest of us could ignore the whole process.

Let’s make England the center of the universe again and put the whole world on Greenwich meridian time. Yes, that means your local noonday might occur at a time other than 12:00 but after adjustment no one will care.

Let’s make England the center of the universe again and put the whole world on Greenwich meridian time. Yes, that means your local noonday might occur at a time other than 12:00 but after adjustment no one will care.
Zulu time. We used GMT on official documents in the navy, but also used local time throughout the decks. It would be funny living in a time zone where the date changed in the middle of the afternoon.

Zulu time. We used GMT on official documents in the navy, but also used local time throughout the decks. It would be funny living in a time zone where the date changed in the middle of the afternoon.
Actually with everyone on GMT there is only one time zone. The moon and stars will wheel around the skies according to where you happen to be but it will always be the same time everywhere.

I say let’s bring back the neighbourhood rooster, he will let us know when it’s time to start the day…..
Only thing is roosters in our neighborhood start crowing about 3 - 3:30 am when the sun rises at 6:30! 🐔

Last edited:
It may surprise some people that the recent time change didn't bring us into Daylight Savings Time, but did, in fact, bring us back to Standard Time. There are people trying to get rid of Standard Time in the US altogether, but some like it the way it is. Now that we all know we're currently in Standard Time, what time system do you prefer, if any?
I just want them to stop changing the time. Takes me too long to adjust- even just that hour.

I just want them to stop changing the time. Takes me too long to adjust- even just that hour.
I leave all my manual changing clocks at DST in the winter. The only way I realized there was a time change was when the kitty woke me for breakfast at 7am on Sunday and all the clocks were telling the same time. The one in the bedroom changes on its own because it's an atomic clock and sets to some air base in Colorado. Computer and phone are automatic as well.

Yeah most of my clocks know my time zone of Saskatchestan which does NOT change similar to Hawaii. Except my alarm clock which is synchronized with the Colorado Atomic clock along with rest of North America. So yeah we come back from Hawaii on Saturday and had no clue that the rest of North America changed time. This morning the alarm goes off and I think that it's a bit dark so I shower, get dressed ready for work and look at my cell phone realize that I am up an hour early. FU time change, I was more mad than tired.

Time change was a pain when I was managing remote call centers in all four time zones. Pain because one was in phoenix and did nothing but complain when their start times were changed annually to provide coverage. Did not like my response to tell their state legislature to approve time change and match the rest of the country.

I leave all my manual changing clocks at DST in the winter. The only way I realized there was a time change was when the kitty woke me for breakfast at 7am on Sunday and all the clocks were telling the same time. The one in the bedroom changes on its own because it's an atomic clock and sets to some air base in Colorado. Computer and phone are automatic as well.
I need an atomic clock...

I need an atomic clock...
I suggest you don't get one. It leads to an obsession of having all of your clocks and watches set to exactly the same time, all the time. It also makes you feel superior to everyone else who doesn't know when it is exactly (to the second) what time it is at any given moment. I have an atomic watch around somewhere, but luckily, I don't like wearing things around my limbs or neck...except clothes.

I suggest you don't get one. It leads to an obsession of having all of your clocks and watches set to exactly the same time, all the time. It also makes you feel superior to everyone else who doesn't know when it is exactly (to the second) what time it is at any given moment. I have an atomic watch around somewhere, but luckily, I don't like wearing things around my limbs or neck...except clothes.
I have cats. I can never feel superior.

I have cats. I can never feel superior.
😼

We live with two cats and they know who runs the house.
My cat ignores time changes. In Winter, when the bedroom (atomic) clock reads 6am, she's meowing in my face to get up. After the time change, the clock in the bedroom shows 7am when she is up in my face for a scratch and a pet. It's always the same on the other clocks. 7am, or if she let's me sleep in, 7:30. I'm not sure if she's on the sunrise schedule or the hunger schedule...maybe both. I can't remember if she gets me up earlier in the summer.

Top Bottom