Done! Dark Theme: Ready!

A suggestion that has been implemented and is available
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! I'm glad you're digging it!

With @ploverwing's help, I'm making more progress on bringing this in for a landing! I've made the key text color green to match the heritage palette of Ukulele Underground (the main site as well as the forum), and I think it may be even more readable now.

I've also added some stylistic tweaks, starting with our traditional 1200 pixel width, turning on the forum descriptions under the forum names on the Forums page, and returning to underlined hyperlinks (rather than just coloring them) for consistency with the old theme.

In a sign of the times, the old default for our forums platform was underline on, but nowadays, it's underline off by default! I see about 50-50 out there on the web at large for underlining and not, but I prefer to only make changes here to improve usability or to answer specific requests, rather than chasing the phantom of the latest design trends. And in this case, I don't have strong feelings about it, so I'm sticking with how we've been doing it.

This little detour is just to give you an insight into my design sensibility, which is, I don't really have one. :ROFLMAO: I've got some miscellaneous preferences, sure, but otherwise, I'm trying to disrupt as little as possible. :)

Some other minor tweaks ahead, but I feel like we're pretty close to done with this one for now! Let me know if you see anything else that needs addressing, and I'll be on it!

FYI Tim, the hyperlink in the quoted post below showed up black on my phone. It's from this thread > https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/ukulele-and-mental-health.152797/post-2348096

I also believe that music profoundly impacts the state of our minds and souls, and we should not underestimate it. Music often helps me set my mind in the right order and calm down my soul.
Music was one of the instruments they used in https://fherehab.com/resources/staging-an-intervention to cure my alcohol addiction. I must admit that classical music really has the power to touch the inner strings of your soul that are not available to anything else.
That’s why I still listen to some favorite compositions from day to day, and they remind me of who I am and what my purpose is in life. In other words, they just help to concentrate better.

FYI Tim, the hyperlink in the quoted post below showed up black on my phone.

Figured it out! The link picked up the style color of the source text. Our palette is otherwise working as intended.

I can't do too much about other people's copy-paste workflow, but it's super easy to edit the colors of any other mis-styled links. Anyone who finds others, please let me know!

I think we're about ready to bring this one in for a landing! I've brought a last few little things up to date, but I think that all the big issues are now resolved.

Not that any theme is ever finished! There are always things to fix, improve, and clean up, and I'm counting on you to keep bringing the requests and reports...but I've changed the name of the theme to Dark Underground to reflect its status as largely feature-complete.

btw, I'll mention this in another post, but I've also finished bringing Sky, our blue variant, up to date, so I've removed the "limited functionality" suffix from the title.

Still left for both: a switch to toggle light and dark themes (mostly only on MY wish list, but, yeah, I want it!), and turning on ads, which I'm going to making some minor improvements to as well. (The major ad improvements will come later this summer. 🌞)

In the meantime, all the newly developed themes -- Sky, Dark Underground, and New Underground -- are stable and feature-complete! Please keep playing around with them and let me know if you see any problems!

I didn’t expect I’d want to use this, but it’s so COOL! I just may turn to the dark side! Thanks, Supermod!

Glad you're enjoying it!!

For a while, I'd settled into Dark on mobile and New Underground on laptop, but now, I'm kind of enjoying flipping between them. 🤣 We'll see what happens from here!

I totally agree! Thanks @TimWilson! 🙂

Glad you're digging it, @DelGriff! We're very happy to be making some progress on some of these long-standing issues, which is why I'm not posting as much these days. I've still got a few projects underway that will keep me behind the scenes for the rest of the week, but I'll be trying to check in now and again as I can. :)

We'll talk soon!

It really looks great, thanks for the option and all your hard work!

After a taste of the dark side I am never going back-- thanks Tim, I appreciate you!

Ah, this is music to my ears! 🤣 Thanks so much!

I was a grad student in New England in 1983 when John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band, aka, The Pride of Narragansett, Rhode Island 😎 burst into the national scene with their #7 single, "On The Dark Side". Been WAY too long since I spun this, and too long since you heard it.

Now I'm gonna hafta go find an ukulele arrangement of this! 🤣 Anybody here happen to have already transcribed the piano intro for uke? 🤣

Thanks again, @counsel1!

Once again, thanks @TimWilson. The Dark Mode looked good before but even nicer now that you're finished. Appreciate all the time you have put in to try and improve things for us all. (y) Knocked it out of the park with this feature.

Thanks @Joe T! I think I can finish it this week, but I'm very happy with where it's starting! Using it on mobile right now, where I think it'll be my favorite. (I still prefer a lighter shade on desktop, me.)

Glad you're digging it already, though! Thanks for letting me know!
As a "dark" theme maven I just switched Uu to dark. Most excellent! You are as usual, the master of all that is UU! Thank you for all your hard work and dedication Tim!

Top Bottom