Condiments

I had some canola oil and corn oil and thought I'd do a 50/50 mix of the two oils.

Try it with some avocado oil when you get a chance! That's my new favorite. You can certainly get it quite reasonably priced, but I find the extra few bucks for La Tourangelle. I get it by subscription on Amazon, which drops the price almost to half of what I'd been paying in my local grocery store. Yeah, yeah, I mostly shop local, and I'll happily spend a little more to keep my money on the island...but double?

Anyway, the price is probably closer where you are, so you can shop locally with a clean conscience and without breaking the bank. :) But it really does make for tasty mayonnaise. It's got a buttery flavor that other oils don't, so I'm finding more and more places to use it in. Great stuff!

(And I've definitely been meaning to start an oil thread! I could live on really good olive oil, and sometimes have!)

So when I saw the title of this thread in the ‘latest posts’ list, and knowing that condiments are used to season the food we eat, I initially wondered whether it was being suggested as an alternative name for Seasonistas? 🤔😆

Ran out of mayo the other day and thought I'd try making some mayo once more....the first time it wasn't that great. So, I had some canola oil and corn oil and thought I'd do a 50/50 mix of the two oils. My recipe called for an egg, some salt, vinegar, lemon juice, and some dijon mustard. The mayo turned out great. For the price of a cup of oil, an egg, and other staples vs the cost of a jar of mayo, it's very cost effective. The only drawback is shelf life. I guess I have to see how much mayo I go through in two weeks(max) and adjust my recipe accordingly.
Yes, that's my problem too. The recipe when using a stick blender uses a whole egg, and that is a about the amount of mayo I buy in a jar. I usually end up eating way too much, because I taste that the mayo is already off after a week, and I don't want to let it go to waste.

Yes, that's my problem too. The recipe when using a stick blender uses a whole egg, and that is a about the amount of mayo I buy in a jar. I usually end up eating way too much, because I taste that the mayo is already off after a week, and I don't want to let it go to waste.
Lately, if I have too much after a week or so, I will make grilled cheese (or a patty melt, or a grilled reuben sandwich) with mayo on the grilled side of the bread instead of butter. It works great because of the high oil content. Or make some potato salad, mac salad or coleslaw. Just make sure to only make enough that you can finish it before the mayo goes bad.

Harissa is a spicy and aromatic chile paste that's a widely used staple in North African and Middle Eastern cooking. I'm addicted to it.

Me too! I mentioned it in the Sriracha thread. I'm finding some adequate sriracha alternatives while Huy Fong gets its supply chain back underway, but I hadn't found anything worthy of replacing Huy Fong's Garlic Chili Sauce...until I found harissa! It's not the same, and I'm finding new uses for it, and boy howdy, I love it!

Thanks for the recipe! I hadn't even considered that, but I will now. :) For folks like me who generally prefer buying condiments to making them, I do recommend this one from Villa Jerada, but hey, I'll try making it too!

I've always preferred to make my own BBQ sauce, and tartar sauce. I can make a pretty tasty gravy, but only if I've gotten the stock from freshly fried chicken. I guess gravy isn't a condiment, though, is it?

I think gravy is definitely a condiment. They sell it in jars and cans and you put it on top of other food...so, probably considered a genuine condiment. It is a sauce made from animal drippings, or the way I make it, a sauce made from vegetable stock, fats, and other things.

I'm sitting on about 40 falafel balls left over in the freezer and no hummus. Luckily I had a can of chickpeas in the cupboard, but not enough tahini. Another bit of good luck sits on the shelf in the form of sesame seeds, so I take a cup and a half of sesame seeds, toast them up slowly on the cast iron skillet, then throw them in the food processor and slowly add Extra Chaste Olive Oil. Voila! Tahini. Leaving the food processor dirty from the tahini, I add in a can of drained chickpeas (with the skins taken off), 1/4 cup of my mix of leftover and freshly made tahini sauce, Juice from half a lemon, two pinches of salt, seven twists of fresh pepper from the peppermill, half a tablespoon of cumin, two cloves of freshly minced garlic and two tablespoons of the same undefiled olive oil. After a few spins in the processor, I add some of aquafaba (reserved chickpea liquid from the can) until it is up to my preferred consistency), taste for proper level of spice and lemon juice, then, when I'm satisfied, stick it in the fridge for tonight's meal of Falafel with homemade pita, hummus, assorted sauces and vegetables with some rice pilaf that I will be making shortly. I am looking forward to snacking on hummus and pita in the coming days. Much healthier than my usual slice of pie, or cookie, or lemon bar, or....

Last edited:
I'm sitting on about 40 falafel balls left over in the freezer and no hummus. Luckily I had a can of chickpeas in the cupboard, but not enough tahini. Another bit of good luck sits on the shelf in the form of sesame seeds, so I take a cup and a half of sesame seeds, toast them up slowly on the cast iron skillet, then throw them in the food processor and slowly add Extra Chaste Olive Oil. Voila! Tahini. Leaving the food processor dirty from the tahini, I add in a can of drained chickpeas (with the skins taken off), 1/4 cup of my mix of leftover and freshly made tahini sauce, Juice from half a lemon, two pinches of salt, seven twists of fresh pepper from the peppermill, half a tablespoon of cumin, two cloves of freshly minced garlic and two tablespoons of the same undefiled olive oil. After a few spins in the processor, I add some of aquafaba (reserved chickpea liquid from the can) until it is up to my preferred consistency), taste for proper level of spice and lemon juice, then, when I'm satisfied, stick it in the fridge for tonight's meal of Falafel with homemade pita, hummus, assorted sauces and vegetables with some rice pilaf that I will be making shortly. I am looking forward to snacking on hummus and pita in the coming days. Much healthier than my usual slice of pie, or cookie, or lemon bar, or....
Mike, you can come cook for me anytime.

Ginger Green Onion sauce/relish/garnish

For: poultry, roast meat, tofu, noodles, rice, salad garnish, oatmeal, etc

Serve in a condiment dish with spoon.

Can make small batches, or large batches for freezing in ice cube trays or small yoghurt cups

Very amounts of ingredients to taste.

3 cups fine chopped green onions
1 cup fine chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup light cooking oil: corn, peanut, olive
1-2 tbsp salt (this relish is a seasoning)
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)

Prep:
  • clean and fine chop onions and ginger
  • aim for 2mm / 1/8” pieces
  • knife or cleaver is good, food processor is easier (I got a small processor to avoid blistered fingers)

Method 1:
  • heat oil in a pan or pot until it shimmers
  • add ginger for 30 seconds
  • add onions and stir for 1-2 minutes until softened but not brown
  • stir in salt and sesame oil

Method 2:
  • place onions and ginger in ceramic bowl
  • heat oil in a pan until it shimmers
  • pour hot oil into the onions and ginger and stir
  • after a few minutes add the salt (and sesame oils) and stir

Store in refrigerator or freeze small portions.

Often sent to college students in care packages.

Today I made some vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. This stuff is a godsend for vegetarians. You wouldn't believe how many recipes I've converted from real meat recipes that use Worcestershire sauce. Before I found this recipe, I was using the standard substitution - steak sauce, which doesn't have anchovies as Worcestershire does, but doesn't have such a great flavor unless slathered on a juicy char broiled steak. This recipe is excellent. If you're vegetarian and can't find the veggie version near you, try this one out. It's pretty quick and not difficult to make.

Throw all the ingredients in a sauce pan on low and heat it until it just starts to bubble. Then let it cool and stick it in your neighbor's used up and washed out Lea and Perrins bottle. It lasts in your fridge for a good long time. The place I found it says 2 months, but I have been using mine for 4 or 5 months...so...

1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses
2 Tablespoons Chili Sauce - chili sauce, not hot sauce made of chilis. Substitute ketchup if you must.
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Makes about 1 1/2 cups or sauce....I make half this recipe and it lasts a good long time.

Top Bottom