Color Strings Failed Me

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recently put a set of Fremont black fluorocarbon strings on one of my tenor thinline ukes, and a set of Worth brown fluorocarbon on another one of them. In both sets, with one hanging on the wall for a couple of weeks, and one I used last week that I left in the case, the E string broke. I've used Martin clear fluorocarbon before and that never happened. I have enough extra of both those E strings to replace them, but if it happens again, I might just go back to Aquila, maybe Super Nylgut.

That is quite odd Mike. Both E-Strings!

Your ring finger nail maybe cut and weakened the string while finger picking? :unsure: Just a WAG.

That is quite odd Mike. Both E-Strings! Your ring finger nail maybe cut and weakened the string while finger picking? :unsure: Just a WAG.
I don't finger pick, strictly strum, and I'm very careful about keeping my finger nails very short. The Fremont black snapped at the nut, the Worth brown snapped at the bridge.

Never had an issue with Fremont Blackline or Worth Browns.

Strings are mass produced so I guess stuff can happen.

When I used Worths years back I never had any issues. Is there are chance that the nut or saddle are a little sharp and caused issues?

I don't finger pick, strictly strum, and I'm very careful about keeping my finger nails very short. The Fremont black snapped at the nut, the Worth brown snapped at the bridge.
Coincidence? Different string sets, different ukes, yet only the E-strings broke. One at the nut, the other at the saddle.

I can't think of any common cause for that to happen. If the nut and saddle are both smooth and without burrs or sharp edges, the only thing that comes to mind is that you got two strings from different companies that had production flaws that failed.

If it happens again, the problem must be with the ukes. If each was a one off, then most likely the strings. And you were just unlucky.

But then, I may be completely wrong...

Top Bottom