$. includes shipping
Shipping
Included for CONUS
Size
Concert scale soprano

Jimpro

Reaction score
SOLD!

I am the soon to be owner of the Antica Ukuleleria Galileo tenor that Baz posted his review of today.

That means I have to let this one go with great reluctance to cover the new one. It is a special 1999 kiwaya 100th /Famous 60th Anniversary long neck soprano model for Famous, designed together with and named after Kiyoshi Kobayashi (FLS-kk) who has enjoyed a long relationship with Kiwaya/Famous. It is a prototype model (you will see the sticker inside the uke has no information which is what I understand how Kiwaya/Famous handle models during testing periods so as to not confuse them with production runs).

It is long neck soprano, with solid mahogany top and laminate back and sides. It has a cutaway because Kobayashi plays jazz and related genres (you should check out his books which are wonderful). Zero fret. Has Gotoh UPT tuners. It currently has fluorocarbon strings but I will include a set of GHS nylons. On the website for the instrument (https://www.kiwayasbest.com/smartphone/detail.html?id=000000002832) the specs list Ghs-10 strings but their diameters wouldn’t fit the current openings in the bridge (the Ghs ones do and that I believe is one of the differences of this prototype). Perhaps originally they considered tuning it in D?

The pictures show it is in excellent condition. I am not a collector but a player and I have played it but only me, and in my home. It hasn’t ventured out.

So if you want something different and that sounds great (the sound has that Kiwaya/Famous sound) this could be for you.

I am selling it with shipping included and at a price less than I paid for it. These are very hard to find. I bought mine directly from Japan after much hunting. When new in 1999 it sold for equiv $650. I am selling shipped in CONUS. International would be extra. Includes case shown

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 52F8D68A-2872-49EA-B070-3C83A68CB3FD.jpeg
    52F8D68A-2872-49EA-B070-3C83A68CB3FD.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 3EAB7EF8-B42D-40F7-B041-E2B4571680CB.jpeg
    3EAB7EF8-B42D-40F7-B041-E2B4571680CB.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 00FBF869-D38C-415B-B13A-F052BB8E8DDE.jpeg
    00FBF869-D38C-415B-B13A-F052BB8E8DDE.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 4C3F01CB-707D-4CBD-806F-6EFFEEA212C0.jpeg
    4C3F01CB-707D-4CBD-806F-6EFFEEA212C0.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DBC6FFB2-EFA0-4FDC-8F93-11721E07EBB0.jpeg
    DBC6FFB2-EFA0-4FDC-8F93-11721E07EBB0.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 46
  • B549E52F-CE9B-4C8F-80AF-8B4AD9516C3E.jpeg
    B549E52F-CE9B-4C8F-80AF-8B4AD9516C3E.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 430D7872-ED7D-4131-84E9-1E702B00A309.jpeg
    430D7872-ED7D-4131-84E9-1E702B00A309.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Boy that's beautiful. All these gorgeous sopranos and I don't play soprano ukulele- yet.
GLWS!

Darn, I want this!! Wishing my wife was out of town....

Darn, I want this!! Wishing my wife was out of town....
You must have a friend who will accept a package. If not, there are always PO Boxes, work addresses..... not that I am suggesting anything dishonest! ;)

Wow, cool, I've never seen a zero fret on a Kiwaya or Famous!
Thanks for pointing that out as I forgot to include that in the write up. Corrected now

Last edited:
I have a Kiwaya solid top long-neck soprano that looks very similar to this (minus the cutaway and zero fret). It is one of my favorite ukes of all time (and that's after almost 20 years of over-zealous collecting, buying and selling)! I'm guessing whoever buys this will be glad they did!

I have a Kiwaya solid top long-neck soprano that looks very similar to this (minus the cutaway and zero fret). It is one of my favorite ukes of all time (and that's after almost 20 years of over-zealous collecting, buying and selling)! I'm guessing whoever buys this will be glad they did!
I have 4 Kiwaya's- 2 laminate soprano's and 2 concerts... all wonderful ukes!

I am the soon to be owner of the Antica Ukuleleria Galileo tenor that Baz posted his review of today.

That means I have to let this one go with great reluctance to cover the new one. It is a special 1999 kiwaya 100th /Famous 60th Anniversary long neck soprano model for Famous, designed together with and named after Kiyoshi Kobayashi (FLS-kk) who has enjoyed a long relationship with Kiwaya/Famous. It is a prototype model (you will see the sticker inside the uke has no information which is what I understand how Kiwaya/Famous handle models during testing periods so as to not confuse them with production runs).

It is long neck soprano, with solid mahogany top and laminate back and sides. It has a cutaway because Kobayashi plays jazz and related genres (you should check out his books which are wonderful). Zero fret. Has Gotoh UPT tuners. It currently has fluorocarbon strings but I will include a set of GHS nylons. On the website for the instrument (https://www.kiwayasbest.com/smartphone/detail.html?id=000000002832) the specs list Ghs-10 strings but their diameters wouldn’t fit the current openings in the bridge (the Ghs ones do and that I believe is one of the differences of this prototype). Perhaps originally they considered tuning it in D?

The pictures show it is in excellent condition. I am not a collector but a player and I have played it but only me, and in my home. It hasn’t ventured out.

So if you want something different and that sounds great (the sound has that Kiwaya/Famous sound) this could be for you.

I am selling it with shipping included and at a price less than I paid for it. These are very hard to find. I bought mine directly from Japan after much hunting. When new in 1999 it sold for equiv $650. I am selling for $550 shipped in CONUS. International would be extra. Includes case shown

Thanks for looking.
So would you consider this- as a prototype- a collectable/wallhanger- or a player?

So would you consider this- as a prototype- a collectable/wallhanger- or a player?
It ticks boxes for different people in the community - collectors may want it for its unique features, or bcz as a prototype it is more rare than a production model even for a limited edition. Some, like me wanted it for the connection to the story - I like to play Kobayashi arrangements so what better way to do that than on an instrument he helped design. I have been playing it but I have handled it with care. I would have kept it if I could afford to. It is so nice. To look at , to hold, to play.

Is it sturdily enough built to be used as an everyday (or at least a few hours every week) player? Or do you only use it for special occasions?

Top Bottom