Clean Rhythm Section

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score

I'm saving up for a "Maid-Rite" Family size. My flea market "pail" size is shown below.

Attachments

• Washboard Front - Pail.JPG
    Washboard Front - Pail.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Washboard Back - Pail.JPG
    Washboard Back - Pail.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

I'm saving up for a "Maid-Rite" Family size. My flea market "pail" size is shown below.

Great video, Wiggy! Thanks for sharing it with us. It reminded me so much of my dancing days, when I used to go to Cajun and Zydeco dances and festivals all the time - washboards were prominently featured in many of the bands. I’ve had the opportunity to play one from time to time, and they really are a fun rhythm instrument.

Your post is also a bit of synchronicity ... I was walking by a second-hand store earlier today, and they had a washboard in their window! I stood there and stared at it for quite some time, trying to come up with a good excuse to buy it. The only reason it’s still in the window tonight is because I know the sound of it being played inside our house would drive my hubby crazy. The washboard can be an acquired taste, and is not necessarily beloved by all. :)

Sorry... Google washboard music and see what pops up.

Thanks, Wiggy. I favor spoons over washboards for poor-man percussion but the title of your OP put me in mind of Atlanta Rhythm Section (ARS).

In my BT years (Before Terri, as delineated from "AT") I once saw ARS open for Charlie Daniels at the Cobb County Fairgrounds west of Marietta, GA and saw Ray Stevens on the same stage the same year. ARS had many great tunes, my favorite having been "Doraville", one of many songs that was far better than the actual place it celebrated. Then there was "Oh, Atlanta" which Alison Kraus & Union Station has since so expertly covered in bluegrass fashion. Third in my ARS mix-tape ranking was "Champagne Jam", the unofficial theme song of the raucous 1980's alcohol-soaked Chattahoochee Raft Race. Good times indeed!

Are thimbles still being made in metal? How about wash tubs? The company could diversify.

Top Bottom