Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

ploverwing

Duck Wrangler and Rabbit Herder
Staff member
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know we have SOTU for themed weekly challenges, but what I'm interested in playing rarely falls into that category (although it certainly can, just not usually within a week!!). I would like to invite members of our community who like to play classical or early music (or music inspired by those styles) on their ukulele(s) to share what they're working on.

Rules: anyone can join and you can post either just a sound file, or to a sound-file sharing site (like Soundcloud) or a video (any video, don't care if it's YouTube or Vimeo or what). The only condition is that the music needs to be classical or early music, or contemporary composers writing in/inspired by these styles (e.g. Sam Muir has many pieces that she's composed that would fall into this category, same with Choan Galvez).

Edit to add: any tuning! Baritone, tenor/concert/soprano, linear, reentrant, slack key, alternate tunings, whatever!!!

Also please don't let the perfect be the enemy of good. I would far sooner hear something of what you're working on than have you wait until it's perfect to post. Please share what you're working on, the lumps, bumps, awkward pauses and all. And then if you post the same piece again later, link to your original post so that we can hear and celebrate in your progress.

I've not done anything new specifically for this (hoping to get an opportunity to record something later this week), so just to get the ball rolling, here's something I'd posted earlier, an arrangement by our own Putter's Collection of Early Music for Low G Ukulele:

Reds - All in a Garden Green - Playford - arr. Putter.mp3

Last edited:
I know we have SOTU for themed weekly challenges, but what I'm interested in playing rarely falls into that category (although it certainly can, just not usually within a week!!). I would like to invite members of our community who like to play classical or early music (or music inspired by those styles) on their ukulele(s) to share what they're working on.

Rules: anyone can join and you can post either just a sound file, or to a sound-file sharing site (like Soundcloud) or a video (any video, don't care if it's YouTube or Vimeo or what). The only condition is that the music needs to be classical or early music, or contemporary composers writing in/inspired by these styles (e.g. Sam Muir has many pieces that she's composed that would fall into this category, same with Choan Galvez).

Also please don't let the perfect be the enemy of good. I would far sooner hear something of what you're working on than have you wait until it's perfect to post. Please share what you're working on, the lumps, bumps, awkward pauses and all. And then if you post the same piece again later, link to your original post so that we can hear and celebrate in your progress.

I've not done anything new specifically for this (hoping to get an opportunity to record something later this week), so just to get the ball rolling, here's something I'd posted earlier, an arrangement by our own Putter's Collection of Early Music for Low G Ukulele:

Great idea Amie

Also, the late John King has a classical ukulele book, many if not all pieces are High G, but it’s very cool and there are some great videos of him playing the pieces on YouTube

Great idea! I'll be listening, for sure. I think @Ms Bean from SOTU would be interested in participating.

@ploverwing

Are the Madeiran Machete pieces from the 1840s-50s fair game? Are Guitaleles allowed? No problem if not, just wanted to ask first.

I think this is going to be great! Thanks for starting it up!

🙂🙂🙂

Edit to add: any tuning! Baritone, tenor/concert/soprano, linear, reentrant, slack key, alternate tunings, whatever!!!

Sounds good Amie! Looking forward to hearing your progress!

I have been able to get some classical pieces into the seasons. The one week limit is tough, especially if you have to arrange something then learn it too.

I kept this one simple to get it in a few weeks ago.

Wow, what courage to leap in and be the first here (even though you’ve gotten your start in SOTU). Nice work!

I'm in, thanks @ploverwing for emphasizing works in process! I got this piece stuck in my ear over the weekend and have really been trying to iron it out. The odd timing trips me up, as well as I am really trying to strictly alternate i and m.

Edit: I also noticed I am anchoring my pinky - I am trying to get away from that as well.

Nice! Is that Rudi’s arrangement? Great job.

It’s more excitement than courage! This stuff is why I started on the Uke. The songwriting came later, and took over for a while, but this is my favorite part of making music! I’m trying not to gush right now. I really hope this goes well. It will be so cool to more easily keep up with and listen to what others are doing here.🙂

It’s more excitement than courage! This stuff is why I started on the Uke. The songwriting came later, and took over for a while, but this is my favorite part of making music! I’m trying not to gush right now. I really hope this goes well. It will be so cool to more easily keep up with and listen to what others are doing here.🙂
You and Amie and @pmorey are way ahead of me.

I hope you join in. I generally think everyone is ahead of me. If you ever want an arrangement of something that fits where you’re at and can’t find elsewhere, I would be happy to work something up for you, if it would help. Arranging is a big part of the fun, for me. 🙂

I have been able to get some classical pieces into the seasons. The one week limit is tough, especially if you have to arrange something then learn it too.

I kept this one simple to get it in a few weeks ago.

This is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing the music, too. I want to learn this one!
I'm in, thanks @ploverwing for emphasizing works in process! I got this piece stuck in my ear over the weekend and have really been trying to iron it out. The odd timing trips me up, as well as I am really trying to strictly alternate i and m.

Edit: I also noticed I am anchoring my pinky - I am trying to get away from that as well.

Beautiful!! One of my FAVOURITE pieces to just run through over & over & over if I just feel like noodling and not much else. Great job!

Yes, the work in progress not perfection I really really really want to encourage and emphasize. I want this thread to be about challenging ourselves to record something to share on a somewhat regular basis. Please join in @Patty
It’s more excitement than courage!
Yay excitement!!!!! I was aiming for some of that!!
Are the Madeiran Machete pieces from the 1840s-50s fair game? Are Guitaleles allowed? No problem if not, just wanted to ask first.
Sure! I'm down with that! I'll even take people who are working on their classical (or steel string... hint hint @robag ) guitar to join in the fun. Folk music is definitely allowed too (hint hint @Ondrej & son)
Nope. I don't believe you. Bring to the table what you've got, whatever it is. Even the stuff you're not confident about. I'll be posting one of those when I get a chance to record (hopefully sometime this week).

I'm so delighted to have a couple of participants already. Thanks @engravertom and @pmorey I'm so impressed that you both leapt right in there.

Last edited:
This is such a great idea, Amie!

Since having a linear ukulele available to me again I’ve been flitting between pieces like an impatient bee (I think it might technically be butterflies that flit, but I feel more like an ungainly bumblebee). Hopefully this will encourage me to focus, I’m in! 🥳

Top Bottom