Cheap Baritone Buying Suggestions

Matthewrt

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just starting playing ukulele a couple months ago. I have a Mainland Mahogany tenor, and Cordoba 25CK concert, and a Kala KA-Cem concert. Now, I'd like to get a baritone. Mainly I just want to check out how one sounds and maybe to have something with guitar-like tuning that my guitarist friends can play when when come over.

At this point I don't have the budget to buy something nice like a Mainland Red Cedar, so I'm debating going with a mid-range laminate like a Kala KA-B, or just getting something dirt cheap like a Savannah, Mahalo, or even a Makala which is quite a bit less than a Kala.

Any suggestions? I'd like recommendations on a cheapo, or warnings not to bother. Whatever you think, I want to hear.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Last edited:
You really need to trust your setup "man" especially in this price range. I'm gonna suggest that your baseline be this Lanikai laminate from Butler Music: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanikai-LU-...339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b13f7a79b

This was my first baritone and it was perfectly adequate to get started - decent sound and setup (though I would have liked a tad lower action). I have seen reports of folks happy with a Rogue or similar straight from a online warehouse, but I just don't believe them. :p Now if you spring for a little more $$, the usual suspects like HMS, Mim, or Uke Republic should be able to get you into a noticeably better instrument for $150-200 as Phil suggests.

So, what I am hearing is avoid the very bottom end and spend a bit more money to get something decent. I think that is probably sound advice. That Cordoba 22B looks nice. They also have a 20B for a few buck less. Is the extra $14 worth getting the spruce top over the mahogany?

Check out the Kala solid cedar top slot head baritone. The tone, appearance and playability are better than its $295 price (at HMS) would suggest.

Sent you a PM. I have an Ohana BK-20 ukulele that might interest you. It has a solid mahogany top with laminate back and sides. It was set up by Elderly music and comes with an Ohana gig bag.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. There are so many options and factors to consider. I'm going to have to give this some more thought.

Top Bottom