Caravelle Kitchen Monoxyl Mezzo Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
My parents had a house in Saint-Georges-de-Didonne, we spent every summer there for years. Lovely town, great beach. I can only imagine how much more perfect those holidays would have been if there’d been a handy, local ukulele maker!

What a charming little thing. I love the 'single piece' trend.
I also agree on the 'artisanal' wording. If I see tool marks and rough finishes on a high budget (not necessarily high price) product from a larger company, I would consider it sloppy, but from a single person small workshop, as long as it does not affect the sound or playability, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Especially at that price.

There are also other (even in stock?) very interesting ukuleles on his website. some crazy shapes.

Last edited:
What a charming little thing. I love the 'single piece' trend.
I also agree on the 'artisanal' wording. If I see tool marks and rough finishes on a high budget (not necessarily high price) product from a larger company, I would consider it sloppy, but from a single person small workshop, as long as it does not affect the sound or playability, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Especially at that price.

There are also other (even in stock?) very interesting ukuleles on his website. some crazy shapes.
Yep - seems like a very interesting chap!

It’s funny, my first thought when I read “caravelle kitchen” was “carvel ice cream bakery” which is an ice cream cake maker we have in the US

Which I adore, btw! Mr. Softee, baby! 🤣

And I adore this uke! I expected bright, but I was absolutely not prepared for how loud it is with such a thin body. "Bring this to your uke club and they'll have you standing in the back corner!" 🤣

I do love spruce, and rude sopranos are my favorite kind, but I think you're right that slightly warmer strings might help the balance, but my gosh, MASSIVE bang for the buck with this one, AND you can support a teacher while you're also supporting a luthier! Can't beat that for little over $300 US.

Yeah, there are plenty of luthiers who take you well into four figures, if not into five, and bless them every one. They're worth every penny, and some of them still manage to offer unexpected value in that price range...but you've found some artisans (love that word in this context!!!) who are coming in at mid-range Kala and Flight prices for one-of-a-kind gems that punch far above their weights!

Or I suppose in this case, HE found YOU! In any case, good fortune for us all!

What kine music do yo think this ukulele is best suited for ?

So who bought one ?
Please post !
As he's a friend, I currently own 6 ukes made by Matthieu that I didn't pay enough money for. I have a monoxyle sopranino that is similar to the one in the review, just much smaller and with a different wood for the top.
1704302391926.jpeg
I play pretty much anything with it, I'm unable to tell you what would be the best kind of music to play with it.

Top Bottom