Can someone help me decipher "PTO" in pono-ese

santoser

Reaction score
Newbie questions!
I'm looking at various used tenors in a $300-$400 range and I've seen a few that catch my eye but I really AM a beginner- I've spent a bit of time deciphering cordoba and kala model codes, and I'm getting the hang of some of Pono- but some stuff is out of production and I haven't got any idea

I'm browsing around a Pono MTDX, a Pono AT, and a Pono PTO-
No ability to go try much out here, so I'm relying on reports (mostly from the uke site)
but I can't find any information on "PTO" as an acronym.
what's this thing I'm looking at for the same price as a MTDX?

I'd call The Ukulele Site and ask em.....

I think the PTO was a solid mahogany model, no frills. I don't believe it is currently in production. Others may know more......

Pretty sure the PTO was an early offering, 2008-2009, basic solid mahogany tenor, with full gloss finish. Precursor to the Pono MT, which has been around ever since. The PTO on Reverb looks gorgeous, but has been for sale there for many months, so not sure what's up there.

What's up there? --- far as I can tell, it's all good. They checked it out, put on Martin strings, fully set up. Says action is low but frets are right and plays well. Seems like a nice company. Willing to work over the phone if you go to their website and look at an item and figure out shipping and such. It's apparently a pro-hobby shop by a couple guitar nerds that "dislikes, but has to use" reverb and ebay to get exposure for their used instruments. Nice people, I think----

I'll let you know in a few days.

If you have any question at all on it - I'd go for a new Pono from TUS. The full set up and a new instrument would be worthwhile. Even if you are paying another one or two hundred vs an older used with an unknown model designation - I think it would be worth it. PTO has to be an older model. Treat yourself - get a new one from TUS. You can't go wrong buying one from them. I'd take a new model over an unknown old used one.

I have a PONO AT (acacia tenor) and hard case I am looking to sell. Are you still looking?

Thanks!!

To muddy the water, I used to have a 2009 Pono PTEC-CE Cedar/Ebony Cutaway Tenor...

that's a lot of letters.

I did get the PTO in- it's very glossy and in very nice condition, the selling shop did a full reset on it (including a minor repair) and restrung it low G without asking- because I mentioned that I played that way on the phone call. very nice shop.

Top Bottom