Bridge offset

meddyliol

Reaction score
My new Banjolele was set up by the shop I bought it from. The bridge seems to be at a slight angle with respect to the neck. Is this like the guitar bridges offset for intonation? When I look at info for setting the bridge there has been no mention of this.

Brian

I don't have too much experience, but I just checked my Mya Moe that I have listed in the Marketplace and it seems to be pretty straight wrt the neck. I got mine used and it was delivered with the bridge slid up, to release tension. There are pencil marks on the head indicating the bridge placement, drawn on by the builder (see video below). That trick worked great! I had no idea anything about banjos or banjoleles when I got it, and it worked out fine. The video is very informative!

A couple thoughts. Was the shop you got it at nearby enough to go back and ask? Did they seem pretty reputable and knowledgeable about banjos? Might be an easy bet and you also get to know the shop... and hey! Who doesn't love another trip to the music shop, where you you can play a buncha instruments that you'll never own. 😬

Also, I'm definitely not an expert, but I would almost bet that you can just straighten the bridge out to your liking and all you would have to do is retune. If it worries you, maybe you can add pencil marks at the current placement, so you can always go back to it. But if it works out, just adjust as needed, tune it up, and mark it. ("Mark it zero!" any Big Lebowski fans reading?)

Hope this helps!

When you intonate with a floating bridge, proper intonation may require the bridge to be at an angle. It all depends on if your uke tunes up and stays in tune up and down the neck. Check the 1st string's 12th fret harmonic with that string's note on the fretted 12th fret. If the fretted note is sharp, move the bridge closer to the tailpiece. If it's flat, move it closer to the neck. Then do the same with the 4th string and pivot the bridge on that side where it intones properly. You may have a bridge on an angle, or it may be straight. Some people will intone the 3rd string and put the bridge in an average spot between where it intones on the 4th and 3rd string, leaving both a slight bit out of tune, but close enough. Use an electronic tuner. When you change strings, you will have to start over, especially if you change brands. A pencil mark is a great idea to keep you in the ballpark.

Start off perpendicular, then adjust the angle as necessary for best intonation across all the strings at the 12th fret. This is also true for banjoleles. However, some strings may not want to ring (but they should - try touching on the side instead of on top of the string at the 12th) so you will have to play open, then at the 12th and listen for the octave:

Tiny pencil mark, always.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. Will check the intonation, also check with the seller shop (who are reputable) to find out what they have done. They supposed to do a full setup before despatch which is one of the reasons I bought from them. I just had a thought about this. I will be taking the strings off to put a new tailpiece on. Must remember to mark where the bridge is.

Top Bottom