Bore oil for fretboards

socal16

Reaction score
I have been using Roche-Thomas premium bore oil on ukulele fretboards when changing strings. My understanding is that it is superior to lemon oil in conditioning fretboards. It is plant based and not mineral oil. Any thoughts?

I have been using Roche-Thomas premium bore oil on ukulele fretboards when changing strings. My understanding is that it is superior to lemon oil in conditioning fretboards. It is plant based and not mineral oil. Any thoughts?
Well the environment on the inside of a clarinet, covered with spit, is certainly much more demanding than a fretboard - so I imagine bore oil should work just fine. I doubt it will make a difference, as just about any product will do the job, as long as you use it regularly and not too often (at most with every string change, or perhaps just once a year). As for whether plant based or mineral oil based treatments are better, that argument has been going on forever in the guitar world, with no winner yet.

If you're using it when you change strings, you can use anything you want. It is so infrequent that nothing you do will either hinder and help the fretboard. For example, try gasoline.

Reactions: CPG
If you're using it when you change strings, you can use anything you want. It is so infrequent that nothing you do will either hinder and help the fretboard. For example, try gasoline.
Wait until you hear me play, then recommend gasoline!

I use a fresh walnut, break open a fresh walnut and rub the nut on the fretboard and bridge if it’s raw wood. Rub excess oil off before restringing. Too easy..

I use a fresh walnut, break open a fresh walnut and rub the nut on the fretboard and bridge if it’s raw wood. Rub excess oil off before restringing. Too easy..
I guess if you have a Hawaiian koa uke you must use kukui or macadamia. Will acorns work? We've plenty of those around here... 😀

This company was founded by a guy who had done a lot of research into natural oils to maintain the wood. I believe he had a PHD in chemistry. He passed away a year or two ago and someone else is distributing his products

Replying to an old thread, but I use sweet almond oil to oil my recorders. I've also used it on clarinet barrels. Works great.

I used a few drops on the fretboard of my mother-in-law's vintage Morris baritone a few weeks ago while I was changing strings, and it did the job well. A very little bit goes a very long way.

Last edited:
A number of years ago I started using 3-in-1 oil on fretboards. I had read Martin recommended it. I figured if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

It is still listed on the Martin website under Guitar Care Tips.

John

Cocobolo recommends using Extra Virgin Olive Oil on their fretboards:

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 8.48.45 AM.png

Top Bottom