Blunders, Eight-stringed Ukuleles and Random Winged Insects: Voran's blog

I should finish some renovation but it's late and I'm lazy so I'm just sitting having hot chocolate and obsessing over images of blue insularis vipers.

Who doesn't feel privileged to live on a planet where these exist? Living gemstones...

Insular+Pit+Viper+-+Trimeresurus+insularis-9.jpg

In a rather bad mood right now.

I was minding my own business on a walk and this old lady came up to me and started making all these comments about how incredibly thin I am.

Firstly...what the hell? I don't know my exact weight but I am probably pushing 140 lbs at 5'5. My lat muscles barely fit into medium sized tops.

Secondly...not AGAIN. I have heard this all my life. Soooo sick of it.

Thirdly...this is is why I get so incredibly sick of the social justice narrative about 'thin privilege'. Nothing privileged about being stopped in public and berated about my weight. If someone did that to a fat person it would be the end of the world but when someone does it to me it's seen as empowering and 'punching up'.

I lost it very politely and told her it was highly inappropriate and a huge boundary violation to be making personal comments about my body. Proud that I had enough self control not to just tell her to f** off.

Proud that I had enough self control not to just tell her to f** off.
I'm proud of you too.

I get that from my SIL quite a lot. "You're so lucky to be thin and tall!" OK. I can appreciate how there are advantages to both of those aspects of my physiology, but I'm not sure that I need to have it obsessively pointed out to me. I can't really control the way my physiology works (or at least, within reasonable limitations). There is no socially acceptable analogous "You're so lucky to be short and fat!"

Another one that used to really drive me mental was "When are you going to have kids?" or "Why don't you have kids yet?" I have a 13 yo daughter, so I don't get that any more. But wow, NONE of your business (on so many levels), EVER, thank you very much.

I'm proud of you too.

I get that from my SIL quite a lot. "You're so lucky to be thin and tall!" OK. I can appreciate how there are advantages to both of those aspects of my physiology, but I'm not sure that I need to have it obsessively pointed out to me. I can't really control the way my physiology works (or at least, within reasonable limitations). There is no socially acceptable analogous "You're so lucky to be short and fat!"

Another one that used to really drive me mental was "When are you going to have kids?" or "Why don't you have kids yet?" I have a 13 yo daughter, so I don't get that any more. But wow, NONE of your business (on so many levels), EVER, thank you very much.
Yeah I completely understand why body image is a volatile subject but I also think Western society has gotten a bit nuts and gone too far with it. People don't stop at a sensible middle ground; they overcorrect to the point of insanity. We've gotten to the point where Lizzo is 'beautiful' but perfectly normal women are 'anorexic' because they aren't particularly curvy or soft.

Same with kids. People used to love throwing it in my face that I'd totally change my mind and have kids. It has yet to happen lolol

Love the little tip of orange on this one's tail!! Thank you for sharing these, I didn't know about them. They're gorgeous.
I am mildly obsessed with them because...you know how I am about anything neon blue :D

Now you mention it...I remember buying snacks in a shop once and this woman noticed I had a skin piercing on my lower abdomen and she got a bee in her bonnet and would not shut up about how I'd have to take it out 'when I had kids'. She would NOT back off and kept arguing and arguing and arguing until I made a comment that was dark enough to shut her up.

For God's sake. I was there to buy snacks.

I don't have that piercing any more alas. My pin fell out and I lost it somewhere; by the time I had a new one it closed over. Might get something else there; maybe a blue insularis tattoo.

I may be a bit overly obsessed with blue insularises lol. They're just so spectacularly beautiful though :D

Still annoyed at my walk being spoiled. Let's post a few more insularises. Here's a tiny juvenile...

images

I'll shut up before I bore people but I do love these. I feel privileged that they exist. I feel like I should improve myself and be worthy of living on a planet where literal actual neon blue reptiles exist.

images

also available in yellow

images

and green

trimeresurus-insularis-blue-insularis-viper-snakes-700-200494353.jpg

1711571248770.png

1711571339243.png

1711571368377.png

1711571401451.png

I think Eastern corn snakes (native to eastern North America) have a really flexible colour morphology. There are some really crazy ones.

And I have NO idea what these are (can't read Cyrillic) but WOW:

1711571499980.png

Top Bottom