Blackstar Fly3 Upgrade to Roland Mobile Cube amp?

the.ronin

Reaction score
I am a total amp / pickup noob and I'm stuck in one of those positions where I had initially wanted to get the better quality / higher price Roland Mobile Cube but ended up being "penny-wise" and went with the Blackstar Fly 3 instead. I like it but I also don't have much experience at all with amps. And now I'm wondering if I should have just gotten the Roland Mobile Cube.

What I'm looking for is more volume but also a better tone. The effects are not a priority but I would consider that an added bonus.

I know the Roland has 2 watts over the Blackstar and that's huge. But can I expect a far better sound fidelity as well?

One thing that annoys me with the Blackstar is that I can hear ancillary noises like string rubbing and such but I think that's more the nature of the UST pickup (I've got a MiSi under there) than the amp right?

Thanks for any advice.

I like both amps for a clean sound. Both have small speakers(3" for the Fly 3 and 4" for the cube). I didn't see a big difference at the guitar center between the two just on clean sound without effects but the cube does have some effects so that alone is an upgrade for little more than the cost of a single effects pedal. For a significant upgrade I would recommend you also consider the Fishman loudbox mini with the 6.5" speaker. It also comes with nice effects. It all depends on your budget. I am also on the lookout for an amp but I want more of a tube distortion possibility so I am looking to get a Vox AC4(I think either recommended amp would complement your Blackstar well.) Just my two cents so definitely get more opinions. Happy hunting!

Thank you ohmless. Really great advice.

Actually, they had a Fishman over at the tech's shop that installed my pickup and WOW. I've been taking a look at the Fishman loudbox mini and as you guessed, its just above my budget - also, I would have preferred something smaller.

For now, at least based on your great candid advice, I might just stick with my Blackstar and use that money to install a pickup on my other tenor. I'm REALLY liking playing amplified.

Top Bottom