Low G Black (or even clear) Nonwound Nylon Low G?

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles

jimmyinsomniuke

Reaction score
Is there such a beast as a nonwound nylon low G tenor ukulele string that has somewhat decent tone and intonation? And if so, are there any that are black?

I’ve searched here and many elsewheres, but found no solid answer. I know Fremont and others make nonwound clear, black, or dark brown fluorocarbons, which I’ve tried. But I’m wanting the warmth of nylon low G strings for my ukes that would be tonally overbright for me were it not for their nylon strings

And I’ve tried classical guitar black nylon G strings, but because they were relatively thin (less than .04 in.), they were just too slack, sounded dull and flubbery, and had poor intonation.

After much searching and trial and error, I’m starting to think a decent nonwound nylon low G for a tenor ukulele simply doesn’t exist, even in clear (which I’d settle for at this point), let alone in black. But I hope I’m wrong!

BTW, I’ve gained so much from reading this forum in the past, and am truly grateful for all the wonderfully knowledgeable and friendly contributors! I finally registered today, and wrote this as my first post.

Last edited:
I've never heard of one and I would be surprised if it existed because nylon ukulele strings are lower density than fluorocarbon, so a low-G string would need to be even thicker than fluorocarbon low-G strings.

If you could find a classical guitar unwound Nylon D string that would work. So far I haven’t seen one but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I've never heard of one and I would be surprised if it existed because nylon ukulele strings are lower density than fluorocarbon, so a low-G string would need to be even thicker than fluorocarbon low-G strings.
Thanks for that response, which clearly makes sense. I think I was wondering if some string maker had maybe gone so far as to make such a fat nylon low G, even though it would require a significant widening of the nut slot (and involve other compromises).

In my response to Contrail’s comment below, I posit a next step towards my goal.

If you could find a classical guitar unwound Nylon D string that would work. So far I haven’t seen one but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
Thanks for that thoughtful input that directly addresses the issue. But I haven’t yet been able to find an unwound nylon classical guitar D string.

So, I’m going to try a “super high tension” classical guitar G string. When I get it and install it, I’ll report the results here.

If that doesn’t work well enough, I’ll start a different thread asking if anyone knows of an unwound fluorocarbon low G that’s “warmer” (more bass and mids) than a brown Worth low G.

I don't know if this helps, but I know that Mimmo (who is a member of this forum) says he mixes heavier elements with his nylon strings to increase the density and thus reduce the diameter needed for the low-G string. These are the low-G strings that Aldrine uses in his AGxAQ nylon string set. They are also available individually.

I don't know if this helps, but I know that Mimmo (who is a member of this forum) says he mixes heavier elements with his nylon strings to increase the density and thus reduce the diameter needed for the low-G string. These are the low-G strings that Aldrine uses in his AGxAQ nylon string set. They are also available individually.
Cool! Can I contact Mimmo through this forum?

These strings are red due to the copper added and not clear or black.

Top Bottom