Strings Best Ukulele strings that aren't fluorocarbon

As a general rule of thumb thinner strings give a brighter tone with more sustain. Larger gauge give a warmer tone and potentially more volume. This is within the same make and type of strings.

As an example Oasis strings offer a Warm and Bright set in their florocarbon line. The only difference is the diameter of the A string, the Bright set is has a smaller diameter A string.
Oh, I get this when I occasionally use soprano strings on a concert. When I use Fluorocarbon I actually prefer the thicker ones. I guess I never cared to consider what tension a string is before buying it.

Personally, I think the therapeutic benefits of enjoying playing your uke will far outweigh any perceived harm that might come from the fluorocarbon that is used in your strings. What about <gasp> the chemicals in the glue used in the laminate wood of your uke, or to assembly your uke? Or the varnish used on your uke? Or the grease that they used when assembling the tuners? Geez, if you've ever driven a new car and experienced "new car smell", you've been exposed to a lot more in 5 minutes than you'll get from your ukulele strings in a lifetime of playing.

Just my opinion.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Get the strings that sound good and play the way you want them to and be happy.
I wash my hands after playing metal strings, which I use mostly on guitars. I worry that there is some California Prop 65 residue that gets on my hands.

I dont smoke, and I need to die from something... So I think I will keep using fluorocarbon strings. Until I read some research that convinces me otherwise.

Should Nylgut make solid tops sound worse? Compared to what? I havent really tried pure nylon strings, but I think they sound fine on solid ukes. On most of my ukes I prefer fluorocarbon though. None the less, I just installed some Lavas on my aNueNue AMM3. I am looking for something warmer than fluoros for that. I cant wait till I have played it enough to pass my verdict.

So, something more like fluorocarbon but not fluorocarbon?
I have tried some of Aquilas other offerings, which are branded to provide that.

The carbonblacks should be very similar to the reads. I didnt like the sound, didnt like the feel, and removed them after a few weeks of testing. They are kind of grainy to touch, which was a big turn off for me. Yes, it is very subjective, and no, it has nothing to do with the sound. But playing the ukulele for me involves more senses.

The sugars are another story.
The sound: I have experienced squeeking. They might have improved the formula since, and better technique might eliminate the problem. Other than that, when they dont squeek the sound lovely. And definitely more bright than Nylgut as promised.
The feel: Even when they dont squeek, they feel squeeky to the touch. Like a bit plasticky, stiff and brittle. It is not as bad for me as the grainynes of the carbonblacks, but I am not a super fan.
Over all, I prefer to go either Nylgut or Fluorocarbon rather than the sugars, depending on the sound I want. But it is probably a matter of getting used to them, and if it of the outmost importance for you to get something brighter while avoiding fluorocarbon - they just might be right for you.
They do sound nice.

Last edited:
I have Aquila reds on my soprano Moon Bird and I love their sound & play-ability on it, and it's an all solid: spruce with rosewood.
Yeah! I put Aquila reds on my soprano koa bird and like them too. Not too soft and not too hard for the bird...is it the solid woods? The shape of the bird? Inquiring minds want to know...

The sugars are another story.
The sound: I have experienced squeeking. They might have improved the formula since, and better technique might eliminate the problem. Other than that, when they dont squeek the sound lovely. And definitely more bright than Nylgut as promised.
The feel: Even when they dont squeek, they feel squeeky to the touch. Like a bit plasticky, stiff and brittle. It is not as bad for me as the grainynes of the carbonblacks, but I am not a super fan.
Over all, I prefer to go either Nylgut or Fluorocarbon rather than the sugars, depending on the sound I want. But it is probably a matter of getting used to them, and if it of the outmost importance for you to get something brighter while avoiding fluorocarbon - they just might be right for you.
They do sound nice.
Yeah will probably try the sugars, because a lot of folks who for the most part like FCs like them, or maybe Polyguts. I heard the squeaking of the sugars disappear after a little while, and feel has never been a problem for me unlike most, I get used to it usually.

Great discussion...

I forgot how but this thread needs the red "strings" flag so that it can later be found with a "strings" search.
RIGHT! Good point!

Done!

(and only the OP or a mod could do it on a thread - someone else can't do it on another person's thread)

RIGHT! Good point!

Done!

(and only the OP or a mod could do it on a thread - someone else can't do it on another person's thread)
Sorry I don't know how to add 'strings after the thread has been posted

as from my experience Aquila (specifically, lava, red, nylgut and super nylgut) make laminated ukes sound better, but all-solid or solid-topped ukes sound worse,

Of course, it is all about personal taste and what you are looking for as a player. It also depends on the instrument. I have D'Addario Nyltechs (which are made by Aquila) on my instruments which are solid tops and they sound great. For the style of playing I do they work beautifully.

I recently installed a set of Aquila AGxAQ strings on my solid mahogany ukulele. These strings were designed in collaboration with Aldrine from Ukulele Underground. The package doesn't say what the strings are made from, but I believe they are some kind of nylon blend. I really like these strings. They are higher than average tension, but not difficult to play if you have good technique. Sound quality is very clear and louder than average all the way up the fretboard. The strings are smooth and comfortable to my fingers and don't have the squeaky feel and sound that made me give up on other Aquila strings. I bought these from one of the online music stores. Unfortunately, they are not available from the "shop" button at the top of this page.

I recently installed a set of Aquila AGxAQ strings on my solid mahogany ukulele. These strings were designed in collaboration with Aldrine from Ukulele Underground. The package doesn't say what the strings are made from, but I believe they are some kind of nylon blend. I really like these strings. They are higher than average tension, but not difficult to play if you have good technique. Sound quality is very clear and louder than average all the way up the fretboard. The strings are smooth and comfortable to my fingers and don't have the squeaky feel and sound that made me give up on other Aquila strings. I bought these from one of the online music stores. Unfortunately, they are not available from the "shop" button at the top of this page.
I’ll second your endorsement of these strings. For my style of play (clumsy strumming), they’re the best nylon strings I’ve found. I‘m cooling a bit on FCs because they can be too bright and flinty. These nylons are clear and loud enough.

I’ll second your endorsement of these strings. For my style of play (clumsy strumming), they’re the best nylon strings I’ve found. I‘m cooling a bit on FCs because they can be too bright and flinty. These nylons are clear and loud enough.
Rick, which uke(s) do you like these strings on? I have a set here, but haven't tried them yet.

I like the Aquila reds on my Kanilea tenor, which is suprising given my indifference to the Nylguts. Would like to see how the reds sound on my Koaloha tenor (the stock fluorocarbon strings sound so good, though).

Rick, which uke(s) do you like these strings on? I have a set here, but haven't tried them yet.
Full disclosure: They are soprano strings on a concert Fluke (hoop pine top). I have not tried them at their “proper” scale. The gauges seem thinner than other nylons, even so.

I also intend to try them on a mahogany soprano when I do my next string change.

Top Bottom