Best Tuner Winder?

Well this one probably won't break after a few years - but then again it is $30.

Waverly_Anniversary_String_Winder.jpg

https://img2.stewmac.com/product/images/43909/Waverly_Anniversary_String_Winder.jpg

I was told by Stewmac that this winder doesn’t fit ukulele pegs.
And now it’s a 5 page thread on winders. But mostly because of big pictures. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I found a D'Addario Planet Waves DP0002 Pro-Winder String Winder & Cutter for Guitar at my local music store. It fits my uke pegs and I liked the added feature of the cutter in the handle.

I like the planet waves tool as well. It has a third feature-a bridge pin puller. It is nice to have three tools in one. It is more expensive than the many cheapo winders but is more robust as well as being multi-featured.

It just dawned on me that if I got one of those string winder bits with a hex shaft, it would probably fit my ratcheting screwdriver. That might be easier then turning a crank. I might actually give that a try if I can find a cheap enough bit.

My $1.75 guitar tuner winder snapped mid wind. Any recommendations? Is the Planet Waves Ukulele winder/cutter/peg popper the way to go? Is it possible to buy one winder that lasts a lifetime?

I have the Planet Waves multitool you mentioned and it does the job on my guitars that have different sized tuner knobs. Sometimes the winder slips off, so I tend to use it slow and diligently and not go wild. I have not tried any other winder so can't tell if it's any better or worse than others. I haven't tried it on any of my ukes, as I haven't worn out out a string set yet.

The main reason I like the music nomad winder/winder bit the most is because of it's soft rubber texture.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
I got one of those winder bits with a quarter inch hex shaft that goes in an electric drill. It didn't cost much. I put it on a stubby ratcheting screwdriver. I like that better than trying to turn a crank.

Winder.jpg

Also it doubles as a screwdriver as the bits are in the handle.

I don't have one. Ukulele strings last forever. My 2 ukes have had martin fluoros a year perhaps. I know it is maybe time to change them, but they still sound good.

It is another thing if you are much a metal string guitar player, then those winders can offer something. To us uke players, just a fleeting thing once or twice a year.

Top Bottom