Best Strings & Low G string for Carmel Tenor CT103???? Don't like Worth Browns on THIS uke

duganderson

Reaction score

I have a Caramel 26inch CT103 Zebrawood High Gloss as my 2nd uke and I tune it Low G. I have a nicer Cedar top tenor tuned to High G with Worth Brown and I LOVE them on that uke.​

I have the worth browns on my Caramel with a would low G and they all sound kinda blah on my Caramel. What strings do you like for this uke? What Low G string would you add to this uke?​

Thank you, Doug​

Anyone have a caramel uke and can recommend strings for low G tuning
I don't own a Caramel uke but I've some experience with low g strings...Pepe Romero low g; wound or unwound. Freemont blacks are nice but a bit soft in my opinion. There are lots of options available... You can either buy a set or a single low g string. I have the Pepe Romero la bella low g wound on my aNueNue tenor. The combination is a tonal treat for me. YMMV. ;)

Thank you for the reply. Do you find that wound or unwound strings are more bright. For this uke, I'm looking for more brightness and less 'blah." I love the worth browns on my higher quality High G Kala.

Wound low G are brighter or more accurately have a more metallic or chimey tone compared to non-wound. You will want to go brighter on the rest of the set. Try the Oasis "bright" low G set.

Consider a Freemont Soloist for the low G along with your favorite high G string set for the rest. The soloist is flat wound which makes it much nicer to play (for me) than the more typical round wounds.

I have a Caramel CC102A (all laminate "zebra" wood).
The Fremont Blackline Low G (.037") has a clear tone and feels good on it.

I tried the Oasis "bright" low G set on my Carmel Tenor Zebrawood. I like them better! They sound better! They are more balanced and include the high / treble sounds that were lacking with the Worth Browns on THIS uke. Also, the tension is better for me; the Worth Browns on my Carmel uke were too floppy for me.

To be clear....I LOVE Worth Browns on my other better quality Cedar top tenor uke. The Oasis "bright" low G set sound and feel more like the Worth Browns do on my other uke.

Also, to be clear....the Carmel Zebrawood Tenor is an incredible value and decent uke. It, however, does not sound as good as my better quality Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE Cedar Top Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Tenor

Last edited:
I quite like: Pepe Romero UT2 Fluorocarbon Tenor Ukulele Set (Low G) that comes with LaBella Gold Wound Low-G String.

Top Bottom